The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sussex Regt. Photo

David_Bluestein

Thanks David - I have a number of very similar photos to this. It is almost one of a number taken at Arundel park in Sussex on the 4th Bn's annual camp prior to the war. It probably isn't one taken during the war itself, or if it is, it's 1914/15 in England. The battalion sailed for Gallipoli in mid-1915, landing at Suvla Bay.

If only such photos turned up more regularly with names on! I have many trios to original pre-14 members of this battalion - and no idea of what they looked like!

If only such photos turned up more regularly with names on! I have many trios to original pre-14 members of this battalion - and no idea of what they looked like!

I could not agree more. The biggest triumph for me as I research my medals is to find a photo! It really enhances the history of the man behind the medal to see for yourself who's story your trying to tell.

A good story for you:

I have had the below photo for many years and always wondered who this soldier is. I was never expecting to solve the mystery of his identity as is true with most photo's.

However one day much to my surprise as I was searching a Toronto City newspaper on microfilm for something else...what catches my eye? A very small article about a young soldier named 'Wilfred James ', who turned out to be my man!!!

Further research revealed that Wilfred was killed in France in August 1918.

The mystery has now been solved

David - I have also had this happen. I once bought a collection of RND photos in an Eastbourne junk shop... portraits, groups etc. Years later I happened to be looking through the Eastbourne newspapers one day for the obituary of a Royal Sussex man I was researching and came across one of the photos, indicating the owner had been killed at Gallipoli. Unfortunately my scanner is 'napoo', so cannot post any photos at the moment.