The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Imperial Service Medal

ianw

Today, I was pleased to pick up a Rifle Brigade 15 trio with a QEII ISM to the same man. It would be nice to know what the ISM was awarded for - police service, civil service etc. Does anyone know if there is a roll for the ISM? The soldiers name is Albert Edward Vine Miles (11940 Rifle Brigade)

Today, I was pleased to pick up a Rifle Brigade 15 trio with a QEII ISM to the same man. It would be nice to know what the ISM was awarded for - police service, civil service etc. Does anyone know if there is a roll for the ISM? The soldiers name is Albert Edward Vine Miles (11940 Rifle Brigade)

Albert Edward Vine Miles.

Post Office, appointed postman (Guildford)

London Gazette Jan 1921.

He may have been employed into the 5O's being awarded his ISM for service with the P.O, sounds right.

Tom..

Thanks Tom. Yes, this does make sense. I live in Leatherhead not too far north of Guildford. As you say, probably awarded his ISM on retirement in the 50's or 60's.

His Imperial Service Medal was promulgated in the London Gazette of October 23rd 1956 Page 6038,he is recorded as Postman @ Cranliegh Sub~Post Office;Guildford.<::Albert Miles ISM LG Preamble ISMs::>~~~~~~<::Albert Edward Vine Miles ISM LG Page 6038::>

A helpful reminder when searching for London Gazette for ISM's is that generally the forenames are placed after the Surname,as in: "Miles, Albert Edward Vine,..........."

PS:You will need an Adobe Reader to read this link!