The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

York and Lanc Regt

Chris Caul

For some time now I have been trying to find my gt grandads war record.

These are the details I have:

George Bacon, lived Derby, born 1885, served only in Mesopotamia (as far as we are aware).

On my first trip to PRO I found in the medal index 3 George Bacons who joined up in Derby: none are my gt grandad.

Yesterday I went back to the PRO and found another George Bacon who joined up in Derby (don't know how I missed him first time although I had just done night shifts!).

This one shows that he served in the Notts & Derby. He is then shown as having served in the York & Lanc Regt - twice, with a different regtl number each time.

He has the Victory, British and 15 Star medals, but what is more interesting (from the Mesopotamia point of view), is that he was also awarded 'GS Med GSM/Y & LR/1 and clasp NW Persia'. He is the only Bacon shown with this medal. I assume it is the General service medal. His service record does not exist in either WO 363 or 364 (nor does my gt grandads co-incidentally, although all other Bacons seem to be there).

Can anyone help pse? Perhaps he didnt return until after 1920 - would his records be still with the army? Did the Yorks & Lancs serve in Mesopotamia?

Many thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

3 George Bacons who joined up in Derby

Do you know for a fact that he enlisted in Derby. Men did not always enlist in the towns where they were born or lived ? just a thought.

Annette

Hi Annette,

no I dont know for sure that he did enlist in Derby, although one of his brothers joined at about the same time and he did. He also joined the Notts and Derby but was transferred to the Durham Light Infantry.

Gt grandad remarried after the war and his new wife didnt want him to have anything to do with his old family (even sent his children away to live with relatives) and when he died she threw all his possessions away, so I have very little to go on apart from his dob and one photo that shows him in what looks like tropical uniform. Unfortunately there are no markings at all on his uniform.

Chris

Hi Chris

Its such a shame that your gt grandads second wife threw all his possessions away.

I missed the fact that the fourth George Bacon you found was the only George Bacon to be awarded 'GS Med GSM/Y & LR/1 and clasp NW Persia', I have seen your other posts on York & Lancs and seen that our Lee as given you an answer.

Good luck with the rest of your search

Annette