The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pals! Help!

Terry

I am hoping that one or more of the Pals might be able to answer a question for me. I have just obtained a nice 1914 Star trio with clasp to the ASC. The recipient was MS-154 Dvr.J.A.Fox, and the lot included various original certificates, MIC, 1914 Christmas gift box,etc. He served with the Cavalry Division HQ from 12 Aug.,1914 until 18 Mar.,1915, and was discharged on 21 May,1916. He was a "motor lorry driver".

What puzzles me is that his documents state that he enlisted on 9 August,1914, and was in France three days later!

Probably he was a reservist, but would he have enlisted again? I have my fingers crossed. Can any Pal come to the rescue and provide me with further information?

Cheers from Canada,

Terry

I am happy to be corrected but his low number and its prefix make it likely that he was in the Special Reserve and would have been called out on the outbreak of war.

The Special Reserve replaced th old Militia, which was a home defence force, but could volunteer for overseas service, as they did in South Africa. The new terms for the SR meant that they were a reserve for the regular army. SR men should not be mistaken for regular army men, with a reserve commitment. The majority had no regular army experience but simply enlisted in to the SR for an initial engagement of 6 years, and could re-engage for periods of 4years up to age 40.

As a recruit, he underwent 6 months training after which he undertook 15 days training annually, with an extra 6 days musketry for the infantry.

ASC SR's were not formed into units, but were sent to regular army units on mobilization.

Terry Reeves

Terry, it is just possible he could have got over that quickly even as a new enlistee- lorry drivers were very scarce in 1914, but much needed.

One example is the London Omnibus Companies which were ferrying men about in France within days of the arrival of the BEF. Their drivers enlisted and were formed into I think initially 4 London Omnibus Companies of the ASC. Some of the drivers were in France with their own buses within days of volunteering. They were given a uniform, no training and ordered to carrying on driving their buses wherever ordered in convoys around France & Flanders. Michael Young (formerly curator of RCT museum, Lt-Col RCT and author of a history of the ASC 1908-18) does an excellent talk on 'London Omnibuses at War' in which he mentioned this.

Even so 3 days does seem pretty fast. I suspect a reservist, and as a lorry driver he would have been at the top of the list.

Having just seen the Post from Terry Reeves, some of the London Omnibus men (but not all) were Special Reservists.

Another unusual unit (I think again ASC) was the "Wolds Waggonners" - this consisted of men who in their civilian lives drove waggons around the Lincolnshire Wolds. I think most if not all were Special Reserve. I have come across one man, Bill Thompson MM, who started the War as a Wolds Waggonner, and who had had no military training. He was SR, having joined the WW in June 1914. In return for £1 he signed that in the event of war he would serve as a wagon driver for the Army.

By August 12th 1914 he was in Aldershot, and was in France early enough to take part in the retreat from Mons. He volunteered for infantry in 1917 and ended up in the 19th London Regiment.

• 2 weeks later...

The ASC trio finally arrived, and included three original bits of paperwork. First was a certificate recognizing the fellow for completing a five year apprenticeship with the Great Western Railway 1901-1906. He was employed at the Locomotive Works, Swindon.

Next is a membership certificate in the "Ypres League of Officers and Men who served in the Immortal Defence of Ypres 1914-1918". Haven't seen one of these before.

Finally there is his Army Form B.2067 Character Certificate. John Arthur Fox was born in the parish of St.Marks, Swindon, Wilts in June, 1884 or 1885 (two documents differ in the year of birth). He enlisted 9 Aug.,1914 and was discharged "no longer physically fit for war service" on 21 May,1916. His service is listed as: Home 9 Aug.,1914 to 11 Aug.,1914; France 12 Aug.,1914 to 18 Mar.,1915; Home 19 Mar.,1915 to 21 May,1916.

The assessment states that, "... he served with the Colours in the Army Service Corps for 1 year and 287 days. He is a steady, sober man whose records show that he has performed the duties of a motor lorry driver in a most satisfactory manner." It is signed by the OC 621 Coy (MT Depot) ASC

His MIC verifies entitlement to the Aug-Nov clasp and a Silver War Badge, and confirms he served at 1st Cav.Div.HQ

It doesn't provide any clue as to whether Fox was any type of reservist or was brought in straight off the street because of his driving talents..

Charles - I thought the Wolds Waggoners were a TF unit?

I knew Bill Thompson - I believe his medals, inc the MM to 19 Londons, is on display in their museum.

There's an article on the Wolds Waggoners in the June 2003 issue of The Great War magazine (pp19-23) written by Peter Howorth and a further article by Mark Marsay on Sir Mark Sykes who was responsible for creating them. According to Peter Howorth the waggoners were a Special Reserve unit with a strength of 1,127 by August 1914 and a commitment to accompany the BEF to France on the declaration of war.

Gary

The Sykes family seat is at Sledmere Hall,East Riding of Yorkshire in the Yorkshire Wolds.

Sledmere House is one of those country houses which are always worth visiting.I believe the family were the first to cultivate and farm this particular part of the Yorkshire Wolds in the mid 18th century.

There is an impressive Great War memorial outside the hall which records the part played by the Wolds Waggoners in the Great War.It is situated under a canopy of large trees, if I recollect,which is not the best place for a memorial regarding algae growth.

Regards

Frank East