The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1st/1st Bucks Battalion Oxford & Bucks LI

Will O'Brien

Dear All

I am trying to locate the position of the 1st/1st Bucks Battalion Oxford & Bucks LI as of the 16th April 1917 & what they were up to. I am assuming that they were on the Somme sector of the front line but know nothing more. The assumption comes from the fact that a casualty from that day (Sergeant Ernest Adams) is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. Can anyone help on the specifics of that day.

Will

• 7 months later...

Just brought this thread to the top as I have now found another local chap from the same battalion who died on the same date.............I'm still a little in the dark about exact location

Hi Will

I can not give you the the position of the 1st/1st Bucks Battalion Oxford & Bucks LI as of the 16th April 1917 but can point you in the right direction.

The 145th Brigade were in action on the 5th April, 1917, captureing Ronssoy, Basse Boulogne and Lempire, which I think are near Peronne ? I can not find any other mention of the 145th Bde or 48th Div. in action after this date, so may have been small scale action on the 16th ?

Annette