The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Writing the Great War: Sir James Edmonds and the O

David_Blanchard

Have not read it though it does seem to be interesting. The review on Amazon seems to say that it studies four important sections. Gallipoli, the somme, third ypres and march 1918. it sets about trying to prove that it is not just about protecting senior officers reputations.

see link here to read the synopsis.

Arm.

It looks as though it will be a very interesting read, but like a number of books published through some of the smaller publishers, unfortunately the cost is prohibitive (about £40), which is a shame.

I bought a second hand copy a couple of months ago, which had a "Heffers" price sticker on it reading £19.99. It's just coming towards the top of my "to read" pile, but looks very interesting.

Essentially Green argues that Edmonds was able to write objectively and was not constrined to protect reputations. In doing so he makes extensive use of the NA (the archive formerly known as the PRO) papers in the CAB sequences which cover his activities in preparing the official histories - which includes much clarifying correspondence with those involved in the events.

We are also gently reminded that when the series of histories drew to an end in 1948 Edmonds was still General Editor and had reached the age of 87.

I guess for some it might be a good idea to try a library loan request.

Martin

• 12 years later...