The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sharpe`s Devil

PhilB

Just finished Sharpe`s Devil and it appears to be the end of the line. But I know there will be people out there who "know things". Did Sharpe live out his days quietly farming in France? Does he have present day descendents? Did he have WW1 descendents? Would his descendents have the surname Sharpe, or couldn`t he marry again (Was he ever divorced?)? Did Harper retire quietly to Ireland as an innkeeper for good? Where is Sharpe buried? These facts need to be shared. If you know - speak up! Phil B

Phil,

I'm sure it can't be the end, there is still too much to say! It is so long ago that i read Sharpe's Devil, but he brought out Sharpe's Havoc (which I have yet to get into) after that but it jumps back to the spring of 1809! Hopefully he will write another one even it is the last, leading upto his death etc. Would be nice to have following books about his decendats but would they not fight for France, having been born there?

Perhaps we should write to Mr Cornwell and ask him what his intentions are!

Mandy

The last in the series will be Sharpes Zimmer frame, which he uses to carry his french eagle and to support him as he ravishes every female he can catch. Finally he uses it to bash Obidiahs ghost over the bonce , the wheel comes off which wounds napoleon in the Elba! :D:blink::lol:

Now then,

There is in the Starbuck books by Cornwall an Oldish French one eyes officer if I recall whom had a relative, father I think, who was a British Rifleman and his mother was French!!!

Going from memory I dont think his name was Sharpe but I am sure its was his father.

regards

Arm

I see there is a new Sharpe TV series coming on ITV in April; it seems to be about India in the 1820s. Does anyone know any more?

I see there is a new Sharpe TV series coming on ITV in April; it seems to be about India in the 1820s. Does anyone know any more?

It's called Sharpe's Callenge, I think it's a 2 parter.

Here is a synopsis

"Sean Bean is back as the swashbuckling hero in Sharpe's Challenge, an action packed mini-series to be shot on location in Rajasthan, India. Two years after the Duke of Wellington crushes Napoleon at Waterloo, dispatches from India tell of a local Maharaja, Khande Rao, who is threatening British interests there. Wellington sends Sharpe to investigate on what turns out to be his most dangerous mission to date. When a beautiful general's daughter is kidnapped by the Indian warlord, the tension mounts, leaving Sharpe no option but to pursue the enemy right into its deadly lair. Deep in the heart of enemy territory he also has to keep at bay the beautiful but scheming Regent, Madhuvanthi, who is out to seduce him.

The fate of an Empire and the life of a General's daughter lie in one man's hands...."

Thanks for that - I am still a little baffled by the implied unfriendly remark about 'Sharpe's Curry' - I was only asking a question.

Personally, I think it sounds as if it will be good; especially if the same production team is involved.

Papineau,

I took that Curry remark as a joke, the use of Smilies can sometimes be confusing to posters. I remain to be corrected of course.

As for Sharpe, I guess they could hardly take an older Sean Bean back to 1800 India for the first books, so later it has to be, even if really he was tucked up in a cosy French Home.

regards

Arm

I saw Sharpe on TV playing the part of Mellors in Lady Chatterley`s Lover. He was obviously chosen on his amatory reputation. I have to say, though, that he showed all the love making finesse of a rutting donkey. Those maharajas` daughters may be in for a disappointment. :) Phil B

PS Where`s `Arper?

Now then,

There is in the Starbuck books by Cornwall an Oldish French one eyes officer if I recall whom had a relative, father I think, who was a British Rifleman and his mother was French!!!

Going from memory I dont think his name was Sharpe but I am sure its was his father.

regards

Arm

In Sharpe's Devil, set in 1820-1, he had a 5 year old son called Patrick but wasn't married to her French mother, the Viscountess Lucille Seleglise, as he couldn't afford to divorce his previous wife. The French officer with the British father in the Starbuck novels was called Lassan but I'm sure that he was Sharpe's son, although Cornwall never explicitly said that he was.

It's called Sharpe's Callenge, I think it's a 2 parter....

The plot sounds a bit contrived; don't think there's been a book, who wrote the script and did Bernard Cornwell have any input?

Moonraker

Hello

Pierre Lassan, the French "observer" in the Starbuck novels is actually Richard Sharpe's son, I had this confirmed to me by the author when i posted a question on his website.

Cheers

Mark

Hello

Pierre Lassan, the French "observer" in the Starbuck novels is actually Richard Sharpe's son, I had this confirmed to me by the author when i posted a question on his website.

Cheers

Mark

Just to clear up any confusion re the names after my previous posting, I've looked up a couple more Sharpe books. Lucille was a widow & Lassan was her maiden name. Her brother, the Comte de Lassan died childless & thus her son would have inherited the title.

Thanks for that - I am still a little baffled by the implied unfriendly remark about 'Sharpe's Curry' - I was only asking a question.

Personally, I think it sounds as if it will be good; especially if the same production team is involved.

It was not an unfriendly remark i can assure you just a petite jest. :D gareth

In french law even illegitate children have the same rights as llegitamate ones so the answer would be YES

C'est bon j'espèrent que vous me pardonnez mais nous plaisantons souvent au sujet de l'Inde et du cari car c'est un repas très populaire au Pays de Gales. M. Sharp est un favori du mien et j'attendrai avec intérêt de voir le nouvel épisode. Il cependant sera étrange ne pas combattre Napoleon ! En outre plusieurs des hommes choisis ont été tués ainsi ce ne sera pas tout à fait pareil. gareth

:lol: Bravo mon ami. Vous parlez bien francais.

I don't know if you ever get to the Somme, but if you are in Peronne one day, visit the communal cemetery. There are a couple of CWGC graves in there, but there is a large memorial on the grave of a French soldier who was the 'French Sharpe' when you read what he did and where he fought. I don't have a photo to post to show you, unfortunately, but worth a visit.

Yes, but M Sharpe saw Napoleon at Waterloo, did he not?

On a bit of a related subject--I just started Cornwell's The Last Kingdom series this weekend.

I've read all his Sharpe books, and on the prowl for some off-war reading this weekend I picked up the first book in this series.

Well, I couldn't put it down. Finished it Sunday afternoon...great stuff for those who enjoy reading this author.

Paul

Yes, but M Sharpe saw Napoleon at Waterloo, did he not?

Yes, he did - in the distance. However, he had a long private chat with Boney in Sharpe`s Devil, and undertook a secret mission for him. Phil B

Why is this in the Great War Forum - surely there are enough fictional forums out there to discuss Sharpe??