The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sharpe`s Devil

PhilB

Why is this in the Great War Forum - surely there are enough fictional forums out there to discuss Sharpe??

Books on the Great War - not Napoleonic novels.

What about us purists!

I`m happy to accept your purity. (Don`t see a lot of it in Skindles). I hope your essential purity hasn`t

kept you from reading the novels of our eponym. I thought "Dikke" meant "fat" in German, but it`s not in my German dictionary? :huh: Phil B

Hello m13pgb,

I'm afraid I did not really understand your posting.

I don't read novels and, as I did not appreciate Sharpe on the television, I am sure I would not appreciate him in print either.

A purist would look for the word Dikke in a Dutch dictionary.

My point is that discussions on books about Sharpe are not proper to a Great War Forum but rather to a Napoleonic books forum or even a forum about novels.

Regards

But if you haven`t read any Sharpe, how do you know it doesn`t express the eternal truths of soldiering, equally applicable to WW1? I didn`t take to the TV series but loved the books. As they say - "If you haven`t tried it, don`t knock it!"

I wrongly thought that Dikke Bertha was the name of the cannon on your avatar and would therefore be German. I`m sure that, during my soldiering years in Germany, dikke was used as an affectionate term for little and fat. As in dikke liebling? Am I getting confused? :( Phil B

You know there is a new tv. adaptation - Sharpe's Challenge? - due to be screened in the UK and US sometime this year.

Set in India in 1816.

I am not knocking Sharpe. I am only saying that discussions on Sharpe are not relevant to this forum.

Regards

(p.s. I'm not little, I'm not fat and I'm certainly not affectionate)

Phil, for what is worth I fell that it shows how warfare had progressed in the hundred years form napoleonis times to then.

PS, I am enjoying this thread.

Mandy

I thought so! "Dick" is German for "fat", not "dikke". So much for my knowledge of Dutch/Flemish/Walloon!

Quote:-

'Big Bertha'

On the death of Friedrich Alfred Krupp (1854-1902) in 1902 his daughter, Bertha, had inherited the firm as the only child. In 1906 Gustav von Bohlen und Halbach had married Bertha Krupp. She was the great-granddaughter of the firm's founder Friedrich Krupp (1787-1826). With the marriage Gustav had adopted the Krupp family name as part of his own noble title. He took on the position as head of the Krupp family firm. Because of the size of the 42cm howitzer it became known as 'Dicke Bertha' to the German Army and was thus subsequently nicknamed 'Big Bertha' by the British.

Phil B

Thank you m13pgb- we are further off topic than ever.

I had not intended to post any more comments on this thread but now feel obliged to thank you for sharing your discovery regarding a large German gun. Imagine my not being aware of any of that information before now. Obviously I am not named after my avatar otherwise I would be called Dicke Bertha or even Big Bertha.

My father and his father before him were called Dikke Bertha and there are seven other Dikke Berthas in our family. Are there any more m13pgbs in yours?

I had thought that this section of the Great War Forum was for discussions on books not comments on my name. My parents did not consult me at the time. I secretly wanted to be called m12pgb but there were two of them living in our street already. I am stuck with the name I have and the teasing that goes with it.

Regards

so if he had not continued to read this thread he would not know about Big Bertha so you see book reviews on other books do sometimes leads back to Great War after all.

Mandy

Ypres1418

I see your logic and have to agree with you.

How could I have been so blinkered.

Thanks

By the way did you knw that there were several battles fought near the city of Ypres in Belgium during the First World War which took place between 1914 and 1918. That might be the origin of your name????

:lol:

I`m really trying, Mandy, to establish the WW1 connection, so as to avoid any further flak. This is obviously a man of some martial merit:-

Description Medal card of Lassan, Walter

Corps Regiment No Rank

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 4806 Serjeant

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 4806 Acting Warrant Officer Class 2

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/12

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Langley P A - McGrath D

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

I know what you mean,

could he be realted!!!!!!

you never know!!!!

mandy

• 5 weeks later...
I see there is a new Sharpe TV series coming on ITV in April; it seems to be about India in the 1820s. Does anyone know any more?

Saw the first episode last night and enjoyed it. It's some time since I read the books, but I'm guessing that the script was based on Bernard Cornwell's book on Sharpe's time as a sergeant but that it had to be tweaked to take account of Sean Bean being past his first flush of youth. Nevertheless the first few scenes did show the "young" Sharpe.

I guess the brutal NCO that Sharpe fights is a reincarnation of the one marvellously played by Peter Postlethwaite who got killed off in one episode I vaguely recall that it was this sergeant who had it in for Sharpe as a private.

I'm looking forward to tonight's second episode.

Moonraker

At last I can read this thread.

I have avoided opening this thread since it started because I was in the process of reading all twenty-two Sharpe books back to back in chronological order. When this thread started I was still on number twenty and didn't want to have the end of the saga revealed to me! Sad or what? :huh:

Now I have completed all twenty-two and have to say I enjoyed last night's TV programme. However, my wife did not as I kept pointing out the different books from which the scenes and characters were taken - Sharpe from a melting pot of books! (The sergeant was a reincarnated Hawkeswill)

I'll have to find something else to read now - until the next Sharpe comes out!

I'll have to find something else to read now - until the next Sharpe comes out!

Exactly the problem I had, Terry! Patrick O`Brien and Allan Mallinson would be worth a look if you haven`t already. Phil B

Wasn't there a continuity error in last night's programme?

I felt sure that the useless general was killed off in a previous episode just before he ravished that week's "token totty".

I recall the episode for the character uttering one of the most pathetic pieces of script writing that - namely said character saying to said totty that he intended to "shag her silly". Just the sort of line one uses before rape, in those days, innit? Or not.

Wasn't there a continuity error in last night's programme?

I felt sure that the useless general was killed off in a previous episode just before he ravished that week's "token totty".

I recall the episode for the character uttering one of the most pathetic pieces of script writing that - namely said character saying to said totty that he intended to "shag her silly". Just the sort of line one uses before rape, in those days, innit? Or not.

Dunno, John. It might have been the way that upper-class twits spoke then (or how the scriptwriter thohught they spoke). Today's Daily Telegraph liked the episode, especially the superfluous "s" when General Simmerson, challenged by Sharpe for flogging a native, retorted "Cruel, Sir? I calls it discipline". Simmerson probably thought the totty was "a demmed fine filly, what".

Moonraker