The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sharpe`s Devil

PhilB

The relevance for the Sharpes books/ Napoleonic era for a WW1 site is why were the generals so ignorant about mud in this region as it played a part at Waterloo.

The same can be said about his Heretic Books.

Will Cornwell ever do the prequel with Sharpe in Flanders, that would bring in another tie in!

Apart from Mr Bean's age, the other drawback for the Indian prequels is the absence of Harper, who has quite a following...

I have just watched the ITV programme about the making of the new Sharpe TV drama - Sharpe's Challenge.

At the end, Bernard Cornwell says that he is working on the next Sharpe novel - set in Cadiz in 1811.

Thanks for sharing with us in non digital land. Hope they show that on ITV1 some time. :(

At last I can read this thread.

I have avoided opening this thread since it started because I was in the process of reading all twenty-two Sharpe books back to back in chronological order. When this thread started I was still on number twenty and didn't want to have the end of the saga revealed to me! Sad or what? :huh:

Now I have completed all twenty-two and have to say I enjoyed last night's TV programme. However, my wife did not as I kept pointing out the different books from which the scenes and characters were taken - Sharpe from a melting pot of books! (The sergeant was a reincarnated Hawkeswill)

I'll have to find something else to read now - until the next Sharpe comes out!

I cant believe you have only just read the Sharpe series!!

Next you'll be telling me you have not read the Flashman books.

As for the programme sunday and monday i was alittle disappointed as it seemed to be a rehash of old books. Though it was nice to see him back

regards

Arm

Exactly the problem I had, Terry! Patrick O`Brien and Allan Mallinson would be worth a look if you haven`t already. Phil B

On the navy of the day Richard Woodman's Nathaniel Drinkwater novels are worth a look. Not so prominently, if at all, found in book shops but you should find copies in your local lending library to get you started.

For Patrick Obrian's Aubrey/Maturin fans the following may be of interest:

http://www.hmssurprise.org/

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/microsites/patrickobrian/

http://www.wwnorton.com/pob/pobhome.htm

from which you will find other places to jump to. Warning: it could be a long voyage. ;)

I cant believe you have only just read the Sharpe series!!

Hum! I was collecting the whole series in paperback when they changed the cover design so I stopped in disgust and waited for library copies to become available for those I was missing.

Fortunately I had manged to collect all of O'Brian's before they spoiled a good cover design.

Next you'll be telling me you have not read the Flashman books.

I have not and don't intend to.

As for the programme sunday and monday i was alittle disappointed as it seemed to be a rehash of old books. Though it was nice to see him back

regards

Arm

I missed the first hour of the second episode (mrs wanted to watch New Tricks) so am wondering what happened to Sir Henry Simersoon. Could look out for the DVD when released.

That sequence with rockets and a mine exploding before intended and demolishing the inner wall at a gate rang a bell, Sharpe's Fortress I think.

They couldn`t resist showing Tippoo`s strongmen executing prisoners by knocking spikes into their heads or twisting their heads round! :( Phil B

I missed these two!!!!!

Oh well I'm sure they repeat them.

Mandy

There is plentry of material from the books to make more tv if all agree.

Btw, how did an army in the field keep their uniforms as prestine as were shown in this episode?

That Gen Simmerson used a verb that I wasn`t familiar with - TO SWIVE. I looked it up and it`s archaic or Old English. Modesty forbids me from defining. :huh: Phil B

Are the flashman novels a good read?

I have not read them.

Mandy

Are the flashman novels a good read?

I have not read them.

Mandy

A resounding YES!!!!

...surely there are enough fictional forums out there to discuss Sharpe??

I've just started researching several soldiers from Woodchurch who served in the British army during the Napoleonic wars. Are there any good forums Pals could recommend that focus on this period?

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I met Sean Bean last summer while working on "Silent Hill", he was in for 2 days. He is much shorter than I thought!!!

Dean

Please don't burst my bubble!!!!

He is tall dark and handsome!!!!!!!

Jealous of Seaford.

You must have been wearing your glasses the wrong way round Dean. It`s an established fact that Sharpe, and therefore Bean, is a giant of a man, at least 6 feet 6 inches. How else could he have done all those things? Dream on, Ypres! Phil B

Thanks Phil, feeling better now!!! lol.

Mandy

Guys, sorry to burst your bubbles, I am just under 5'6 and he ain't much taller than me if any!!!

They must have had the cameras in trenches to make him look so tall in the Sharpe Series.

Wish I had know he was going to be there on the set..if I had I would have had him sign my Sharps Vids

I have to say I was stuned when I saw how short he was..and not a sword in sight!!!

Dean

somebody shoot the messanger please..................

LOL

Mandy

Oh I've gone all wobbly!!!!!!

Thanks Phil. and yes I can see that he is over 6ft!!!!

Guys, sorry to burst your bubbles, I am just under 5'6 and he ain't much taller than me if any!!!

They must have had the cameras in trenches to make him look so tall in the Sharpe Series.

I have to say I was stuned when I saw how short he was..and not a sword in sight!!!

Dean

Bit like Alan Ladd, the "pocket-sized toughie" Hollywood actor of the 1950s and 1960s; I gather that various stratagems were used on set to compensate for his limited stature.

Incidentally, I've often wondered why in the TV series Sharpe and Harper hardly ever wore the shakos that were part of their uniforms.

Moonraker

Cos they were rebels?

Mandy

You see, Mandy, this again proves that SB is over 6 feet tall. If he had been short, they could easily have disguised that by putting them in shakoes but with SB`s about 9 inches bigger than Harper`s. Then they would have looked the same height. But they didn`t. So Sean must be as tall as Harper! QED. :D Phil B

you do like to a woman happy Phil, thanks.

Mandy