The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sharpe`s Devil

PhilB

I have just watched the ITV programme about the making of the new Sharpe TV drama - Sharpe's Challenge.

At the end, Bernard Cornwell says that he is working on the next Sharpe novel - set in Cadiz in 1811.

You must mean, Sharpe's Fury. I am Dutch and greatly enjoyed that novel.

It also ties up some loose knots from Sharpe's northerly adventures and the eagle appears again.

Greetings with still a measly 6 Sharpie novels to go <_< So fixing sword bayonets and reading on!!

Regards,

Marcston

You know there is a new tv. adaptation - Sharpe's Challenge? - due to be screened in the UK and US sometime this year.

Set in India in 1816.

In the Netherlands we have a saying:

Maak je niet dik dun is de mode :-)

(kind of "don't get upset).

I have no problem reading something not (entirely) WW1, especially when it is as monumental as the Sharpe Series. As the Napoleonic wars was the last really big ans extended conflict before WW1 comparing the 2 has my interest.

Incidentally, I've often wondered why in the TV series Sharpe and Harper hardly ever wore the shakos that were part of their uniforms.

Moonraker

Speaking as a re-enactor, all I can say is try wearing one of those for a few hours, and you'll see!

If they* want to continue the "Sharpe" series beyond Waterloo AND to keep using Mr Bean as the hero, perhaps Mr Cornwall should write a novel (or novels) involving Sharpe with, say Simon Bolivar and the Army of Liberation of the Andes (I see it now "Sharpes Llama" :P ) or perhaps withthe Greek War of Liberation along side Byron(?) etc.

Just a thought

Tom t W

*B.C. & the TV companies

or perhaps withthe Greek War of Liberation along side Byron(?) etc.

Sharpes kebab?

The Sharpe series is being repeated on one of the free-to-view digital TV channels on Monday evenings. I had a quick channel-flick last night at 10pm before turning the set off and there Sharpe was protecting womanhood from a lascivious British officer in Spain. The week before he was winning the Battle of Waterloo, so the episodes are not being shown chronologically.

I thought it was on the UK TV History channel, but checking with the listings in the Sunday Times Culture supplement for last night I couldn't spot it. Not at my best at 10pm, which makes me wonder why I chose a nocturnal sobriquet like:

Moonraker

...I thought it was on the UK TV History channel, but checking with the listings in the Sunday Times Culture supplement for last night I couldn't spot it. Not at my best at 10pm, which makes me wonder why I chose a nocturnal sobriquet like:

Moonraker

I wasn't "mazed" after all. I was channel-flicking at 9.30 pm last night and again there was a Sharpe episode being shown, and it was on the UK TV History Channel. According to "Culture", the programme should have been "Secrets of Lost Empire".

The episode in question featured Sharpe's arch enemy, Sergeant Obadiah Hakeswill, who had deserted and captured Elizabeth Hurley, who was wearing a very low-cut dress. I didn't bother to watch the programme again, but recall that our hero rescued her before she suffered a fate worse than... I can't remember if she showed her gratitude in the traditional way.

Moonraker

• 2 weeks later...

Two Sharpe repeats on the box at the same time tonight at 9pm: the first half of Sharpe's Challenge on ITV 1, and on UK TV History is the episode where Sharpe and Harper have problems with a Yeomanry outfit in Northern England.

Moonraker

the episode where Sharpe and Harper have problems with a Yeomanry outfit in Northern England.

Moonraker

Sharpe's Justice. Pretty uniforms, but not one of the best. Probably because it isn't one of Cornwell's books.