The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Victor McLaglen

Desmond7

I'm not an expert on MICs but should they not show his progress through the ranks?

MICs only show ranks held in theatre and also the units that were served in whilst in theatre.

• 1 year later...

I've just come across this thread.

I've been trying to find out about my grandfathers time in the war and my auntie sent me this;

'I remember him mentioning a film star Victor McLaglan as someone who I think was in his regiment and "he was a complete swine of a chap" - he said that every time his name came up!'

• 4 years later...
Guest kristinakelly

I've tried all sorts of MIC searches for film star Victor McLaglen who, according to his biogs, served with R Irish Fus. in WW1. Can anyone turn him up? Or did he serve under an alias.

Des

Hi Desmond,

I am looking into my Grand fathers past and I found out that he served in Baghdad with Victor Mclaglen. However, I am unsure as to what regiment my Grandfather served with. I have read that Mclaglen was second provost Marshal while in Baghdad. My Aunt has some medals of my Grandfathers so I will speak to her and see what she remembers.

Mc's full name was Victor de Bier Everleigh McLaglen, from what research I have done he served with 10th Battalion Middlesex reg., and then the R Irish Fusiliers. Hope this helps.

Krissi

How is the name pronounced? I've always assumed 'M-clag-lun' but a few years ago I was talking about Victor to an American friend, of Ulster-Scots descent, who pronounced it 'M-glock-lun'.

How is the name pronounced? I've always assumed 'M-clag-lun' but a few years ago I was talking about Victor to an American friend, of Ulster-Scots descent, who pronounced it 'M-glock-lun'.

The latter I believe, from what I learnt from somebody at uni with the fuller version of the name.

Interesting. Of course different people pronounce the same name differently-as in the footballer Gordon Strachan (Strakan)and the Historian Hew Strachan (Strawn).

Cholmondleigh-Featherstonaugh to you, is all I have to say.

Being of Lancashire heritage, my favourites were always the Sidebottoms - no, not the Sidebottoms, the SidEbottoms, of whom we did know a few...

... Buckets of them, in fact.

Pronounced 'M-clag-lun' on the 1950 trailer for "Rio Grande",

regards

John

Yes, well, that don't count... Tomatoes and tomatoes... With Ian at uni it was always Ian 'M'Glock'

Trajan

PS And why and how on earth did they come up with that silly potatoes/potatoes business?

Two of my late father's customers were called O'Nions ( not sure they were of Irish descent) and Rabbiti. Dad swore that the i at the end was a fairly recent addition to make out that they were originally from the land of gelato rather than named after a small mammal. I also recall the splendidly obstreperous servant Mrs 'Caydagorn' (spelled Cadogan) from 'The Irish RM'.

There's a SA bod in the uni surnamed Bennetti who sometimes claims a distant familial relationship with me, but where the heck did that 'i' come from? Perhaps (as alluded to in an earlier post) a Toni gelatto type affectation? Or should I say confection???!!

• 5 years later...

My grandfather McCartney (who died in 1965) was laterally a RSM in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, but I don't know what regiment he was in before the 1920s. He used to say that McLaglen had been his batman in India and that he was not so tough in real life. He used to say that he had "kicked his **** from one end of India to the other" :lol:.  My grandfather, by the way, was a tough Irishman from Donegal, who liked a drink.......

On 13/03/2014 at 20:52, Mark Hone said:

Interesting. Of course different people pronounce the same name differently-as in the footballer Gordon Strachan (Strakan)and the Historian Hew Strachan (Strawn).

Have an old friend surnamed Strachan, he and his family pronounce it more 'Strong' than 'Strawn'.

1 hour ago, Mairi said:

My grandfather McCartney (who died in 1965) was laterally a RSM in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, but I don't know what regiment he was in before the 1920s. He used to say that McLaglen had been his batman in India and that he was not so tough in real life. He used to say that he had "kicked his **** from one end of India to the other" :lol:.  My grandfather, by the way, was a tough Irishman from Donegal, who liked a drink.......

If this is true:-

"He did serve for some time but without leaving England, even becoming regimental boxing champion, before his father bought his release. He went to Canada where he worked as a labourer, a wrestler, a railroad policeman, and a professional prize-fighter. McLaglen graduated to exhibition boxing in circuses, vaudeville, and Wild West shows when touring in the United States—once going six rounds with world heavyweight champion Jack Johnson. He went to Australia and joined the Kalgoorlie gold rush, travelled to Tahiti, Fiji, and Ceylon, and was physical training instructor to the raja of Akola in India." 

it casts some doubt on grandad`s recollections!B)

He was APM in Mesoptamia. From 15th September 1916, he was posted to the Military Police as APM at Sheikh Saad, where he remained until 1919. He was apprently rather harsh! 

Certianly wouldn't want to mess with him. 

IMG_20190904_145548.jpg.017b1043a9a075ece5f0b5e38fe78fc2.jpg

He went on to train various police forces in Jiu Jitsu and published a manual, a copy of which we have. 

IMG_20190904_145809.jpg.44fa34c3b55393387dea7c5b06d156e6.jpg

IMG_20190904_145821.jpg.11b33d8f16d1aeebb8c3d773340754a7.jpg

IMG_20190904_145830.jpg

Edited by Toby Brayley

Here he is again. 

IMG_20190904_150106.jpg.9076b36bdf1a3c602dc68a0f28f54dca.jpg

His fame led to him be used for recruitment drives. Here he is in Trafalgar Square. 

IMG_20190904_150348.jpg.f55bc7be00d6bb651a56af0fab883fdd.jpg

8 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

He was APM in Mesoptamia. From 15th September 1916, he was posted to the Military Police as APM at Sheikh Saad, where he remained until 1919. He was apprently rather harsh! 

Certianly wouldn't want to mess with him. 

IMG_20190904_145548.jpg.017b1043a9a075ece5f0b5e38fe78fc2.jpg

He went on to train various police forces in Jiu Jitsu and published a manual, a copy of which we have. 

IMG_20190904_145809.jpg.44fa34c3b55393387dea7c5b06d156e6.jpg

IMG_20190904_145821.jpg.11b33d8f16d1aeebb8c3d773340754a7.jpg

IMG_20190904_145830.jpg

The McLaglan who was the world ju-jitsu champion and wrote the training book illustrated was Leopold McLaglan, one of Victor's many brothers, and who, by his own account, had a very varied military career.  John Gritten, who was an Official Naval Reporter in the Second World War met Leopold in Ceylon, and wrote an account of their meeting in his book 'Full Circle - Log of the Navy's No. 1 Conscript'.  According to Gritten, Leo McLaglen told him he had served in all three services, starting at the age of 16 in 1900 when he joined the Imperial Light Horse and served in the Boer War.  After some time in Australia, he returned to the UK in 1914 and was commissioned in September of that year.  In McLaglan's words, quoted by Gritten "Yes, m'boy, at Chatham I trained all the officers and men of the warships Vindictive, Daffodil and Hindustan in armed and unarmed combat   That was for the raid on Zeebrugge, in 1915 (sic) - the first commando raid of modern times, y'know."  He claimed to have served on the Somme and in East Africa, where he was wounded, and as Staff Captain he became Military Landing Officer at Calais in 1918.  In the Second World War Leo said he joined the RAF, being promoted to Squadron Leader and responsible for the defence of certain important airfields.  When Gritten met him in 1945, Leo was a Lieutenant RNVR, apparently training the Ceylon police in unarmed combat. 

I wonder how much, if any, of that is true.  He does seem to have been quite a character

10 hours ago, PhilB said:

"He did serve for some time but without leaving England, even becoming regimental boxing champion, before his father bought his release.

That was in connection with the Boer War, Mr B. He was underage.

His MIC shows that he went to Basra in 1916.

(Having said that, i'm beginning to lose track)

9 hours ago, 593jones said:

The McLaglan who was the world ju-jitsu champion and wrote the training book illustrated was Leopold McLaglan, one of Victor's many brothers, a

I wonder how much, if any, of that is true.  He does seem to have been quite a character

ahh yes of course, the different initial should have alerted me! Thank you. 

The picture of Leo in in the manual, in his Middlesex Uniform, he is well decorated and has a wound stripe so there might be something in it!