The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

171st Company, Royal Engineers

stevehowarth

I am reseraching 2nd Lt. William Albert Rodwell (old boy of Ermysted's Grammar School, Skipton). He served in the 171st tunnelling company of the Royal Engineers and won a MC for his work in the Spanbroekmolen tunnel.

Does anybody know what happened to the 171st after Messine in June 1917? Rodwell was killed, above ground, on 9th November 1917. Alexander Barrie (The War Underground) claims that tunnelling ceased after Messine; is this correct?

Help on this matter would be appreciated.

Steve.

I don't know if this is of any use to you....

Dave.

post-2-1064098041.jpg

Croonaert

Thanks for your cuttings relating to Rodwell and Goodman. 'Craven's Part in the Great War' is a source that I have already consulted. You obviously have copy. How did you find it? Have you an interest in Craven and the War?

Steve

The name Rodwell and especially mention of 20th DLI sent me racing to my grandfathers photo album. (I am particularly interested in 123rd Inf Bde wh compriosedc 20 DLI etc etc). However, the photographs of 'Rodwell' under the (undated) heading officers of 123rd LTMB is clearly not the same chap, my one is moustachioed for a start. His collar badges are Mddx Rgt - obviously 23rd Bn Mddx (also in 123 Inf Bde). It would seem that the Bde trench moprtar battery was drawn from personnel in the battalions of the Bde.

So, just a coincidence I'm afraid ! (It would be necessary to look up the relevant Army List and War Diary of 123 LTMB to identify the chgap in my photos)

• 3 weeks later...
Part in the Great War' is a source that I have already consulted. You obviously have copy. How did you find it? Have you an interest in Craven and the War?

Steve.

Over the past 15 years or so, I've probably owned about 6 (original)copies of this book (I always found it interesting due to the "ownership" slip stuck on the first page.) Most of them, I picked up from car-boot sales locally. I believe N&MP have recently re-published it (but ,I'm told, their copy leaves a lot to be desired).

My interest in Craven in the war is that I practically live next door (Burnley) and know the region quite well.

Dave.

By the way. The copy that I used was presented to the "representatives of the late William Edward Anderson S.B.R."

William Anderson ,Naval Sick Berth Reserve, of 20 School Terrace, Barnoldswick, died on the hospital ship "H.M.H.S. ROHILLA" on 30th October 1914. It was on it's way from Leith to Dunkirk to bring wounded soldiers back from the front when it was sunk off the East coast near Whitby after hitting submerged rocks at 3:50am.

Dave.

Thanks, Bob.

I didn't know that. Whitby is one of my favourite places and you've just added one more reason for me to return. I've never actually thought of looking for war graves when I've been there in the past - there must be quite a few, thinking about it. I will now!

Cheers,

Dave. :)

"There was relatively little mining activity after Messines. The Tunnelling Company troops were more often engaged in construction work, and in creating underground subways for infantry to shelter in and to reach the front lines without molestation. In the crises of Spring 1918 were often called upon to act as emergency infantry. When the tables turned and the Allies began to advance in 1918, they worked on making safe the many towns, villages and facilities they captured, including the very dangerous work of rendering harmless the many explosive devices that had been left behind". See more here.

The only reference I have found to 171 after Messines is that they were forced to move from camp at Boeschepe in April 1918, when the enemy broke through the Lys positions and were then put on duties that included digging and wiring trenches over a long distance from Reninghelst to near St Omer.

No doubt there is more in their war diary.

IIRC the Tunnelling Companies were used (as army troops) till the beginning of 1918 to make dug outs. I also encountered a Tunnelling Company that searched the captured ground for usable dug outs and bunkers (and looking for booby-traps etc.). During the final advance they were used to make bridges and search all kind of facilities for mines and explosives.

Jan

"There was relatively little mining activity after Messines. The Tunnelling Company troops were more often engaged in construction work, and in creating underground subways for infantry to shelter in and to reach the front lines without molestation. In the crises of Spring 1918 were often called upon to act as emergency infantry. When the tables turned and the Allies began to advance in 1918, they worked on making safe the many towns, villages and facilities they captured, including the very dangerous work of rendering harmless the many explosive devices that had been left behind". See more here.

The only reference I have found to 171 after Messines is that they were forced to move from camp at Boeschepe in April 1918, when the enemy broke through the Lys positions and were then put on duties that included digging and wiring trenches over a long distance from Reninghelst to near St Omer.

No doubt there is more in their war diary.

So, this wasn't the Tunnelling Company that was still digging away at the end of the war and that featured in that great work about A First World War ... 'Birdsong'? :huh:

;)