The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Voices in Flight

vervos

Saw this posted over at the Aerodrome, too. I'm looking forawrd to getting my hands on a copy.

Russ

• 2 months later...

VOICES IN FLIGHT

Pen & Sword Publications

ISBN 1844153991

Hardback 234mm x 156mm

246 pages

The interviews presented here were originally commissioned by RAF Hendon as a series of video portraits of First World War aviators. After nearly three decades, their re-issue in this format is indeed welcome.

Malinovska’s project was dauntless to a fault. Breaching the conservative and reactionary male stronghold of aviation historians, she was more than equal to her commission. Her subtle approach and scholarly method were a heady admixture which few if any of her interviewees could resist; rejuvenated, they related countless graphic and compelling reminiscences.

These men hailed from markedly diverse backgrounds and had many varied rôles in the RFC and the RNAS – fighter pilots and telegraphers; engineers and riggers; observers, bombers and prisoners of war. The book is cogently, seamlessly edited but the interviews are redolent with each man’s particular tone and characteristics of expression. Of especial note are the interviews with the renowned aeroplane designer Sir Thomas Sopwith, Hamilton ‘Tim’ Hervey, who was instrumental in the foundation of MI9 to assist prisoners of war, and Fred Lang, who was mechanic to Albert Ball, VC, Britain’s most illustrious ace. The book is generously illustrated with many previously unpublished photographs.

All serious enthusiasts ought to add this book to their collection. Approaching ninety years after the height of the conflict, its timing of publication is propitious. Given the nature of its material, the volume is unparalleled, and has certainly enriched the literature of the first aerial war.

Robert Robbins

• 10 months later...
  • 9 years later...

To resurrect this topic, I've recently read this book, and it is very good.

Even though all the stories are now quite old in that they were recorded in the late 1970's, they don't suffer from that as in many cases the interviewee (and the interviewer) has the ability to make you feel as if you are there with them.

It's a part of the First World War that I knew something about but not very much, so it was very useful to read these stories and learn a little about what they had to do and how they did it. I would like to read more ... but as has been said, too many books, too little time!

I recommend it!

7 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

Looks fascinating - but the site quoted is 'frozen'!

Yes, it was for me as well, probably due to the age of the link - eleven years!

This, though, is a link http://www.crossandcockade.com/ to the current web site, which looks like it might be what we want. However, I've had a quick look at the "Books" section, and sadly there's no mention of it.

Yes, it's always a pain when that happens, isn't it?

Anyway, I've tried to track down the authors, but they don't seem to have a web site any more, either personally or for the book. However, I've sent an e-mail to Cross and Cockade asking whether they have any contact details for either or both, and I now have to wait for their reply. I'll let everyone know what response I get.

An update on this .... Cross and Cockade don't have any contact with the authors now, but they've suggested that it might be worth contacting Pen & Sword and asking them - so that's what I've done.

I'll have more later, I hope! 

Another update .... Pen & Sword have said that they can't give out addresses, but will pass on a message.

I understand the former, and have sent them the latter; more later, I hope.

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Copies are available on abebooks.

Thank you; I think that this is the original book, of which I've got a copy.

I'm trying to get hold of copies of the extra ten interviews, which were at one time on the web site associated with the book but which is now unavailable.  

Pen & Sword have agreed to send a message to the authors, so we'll see what they say.

Another update .... I've heard from Anna Malinovska, who has said that she'll try to get access to the web site where these interviews are kept. Apparently, there are "computer problems" preventing access at the moment, but Anna is working on this.

More later .... !

• 2 weeks later...

Another update .... I've heard again from Anna Malinovska, who has sadly confirmed that she can't get access to the web site on which these were kept. Unfortunately, the hosts won't open it for her, so that avenue is closed.

However, Anna does have a disc somewhere with them on, so "all" she has to do is find it .. which she'll try to do and if successful will send it to me. Hopefully, this will work, and I'll let you know what happens.