The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

50 Amazing Stories of the Great War

cliffcole

Hi All,

I wondered if any Forum members have heard of this book.

It is the book that first sparked my interest in the war and I recently re-read it.I have owned it since I was a child but have no idea where I got it from.

It was printed in 1936 and contains exactly what it says on the cover written by the participants.

The first tank on tank battle, the first gas attack, the Red Baron's death are all described in detail and all sorts of other battles and campaigns from beginning to end of the war.

My favourite story is written by Lance Corporal A P G Vivian 4th Batt. Middlesex Regiment called "General For a Day" that tells the tale of him and a few stragglers searching for our retreating army at Mons in August 1914. It is written in the understated manner of the time and they ambush a party of german cyclists, nick their bikes, eat their food, ambush the main attacking body of Germans in a river and eventually although severely wounded he is picked up by the final battery of artilliary as it retreats and ends up in a hospital in Plymouth. An amazing story indeed.

I was interested enough to research his MIC and he finishes the war as a 2nd Lieut. in the Royal Fusiliers.

I have tried to search for another copy but I gather that it is out of print.

Does anyone want to sell their copy as mine is dog-eared?

Regards,

Cliff

Yes, I have a copy, a fine book, but dated. Not for sale, and not dog-eared.

Mine was my Gt. Uncle Perce's, who was an NCO in the RE, a regular, during that war. Read it as a child in his lovely old house in Shanklin, Isle of Wight. Was given it, on the spot.

He also had a full collection of contemporary bayonets, coveted but not inherited.

But I do have his beautiful sailor's knife, 1874, old steel, folding into a steel frame bound with brass, all concealed in a hardwood hilt, brass-bound. I restored it a few years ago, and it is my letter-opener to this day. Illegal, I expect.

Cliff,

I have one too, but like yours it is dog eared, its an excellent read for those of us with short attention spans.

Iv'e not seen it in hardback and have only seen one in the boot sales and charity shops over the past three years.

Cheers,

Rob

I also have a copy but sorry its not for sale. Chris give me the name of a book site that had many rare book, when I was looking for a copy of Alec Johnston's At The Front. I think it was called ABC books.

Cliff there are lots for sale on the net. PM me and I will send you a few sites. I seen your post and just bought myself a copy, including postage to Ireland it was $14.

I also have a copy which I picked up for a couple of quid a few years ago. I also have a companion volume

"50 Great Hairbreadth Escapes" full of derring-do and people escaping death by a whisper. I seem to remember there were other "50 stories of...." volumes but these were the two that caught my attention. They are by Odhams Press. Any one know what other volumes there were? SG

I have one, don’t believe it’s that rare…there are four on eBay at the moment, one has a buy it now on for £4.00

John

Thanks John,

I've just found another 15 copies on Amazon.

My error seems to have been using 50 rather than Fifty on the search facility :) .

Duh!

Still a great read to dip in and out of.

Cheers,

Cliff

This is a much under-rated volume. The tales are generally by those who served, often extracts from published works. I keep seeing hardbacks in good condition in charity shops and I would heartily recommend it to all - a bargain at £5 or less.

Having dug one of my copies out it might be useful to mention a few of the accounts:

Wilfrid Ewart - A first Visit to the Trenches

George Brame - On the Belgian Coast

Marthe McKenna - A journey to Brussels (McKenna wrote a volume of her espionage exploits)

Esmee Sartorius - August 1914 (Women & Nursing)

F Mitchell - The only way at Cambrai AND A battle of monsters (accounts from a tank officer)

Mark Severn - Festubert 1915

Compton McKenzie - The battle of the 4th of June (Gallipoli - attack on Krithia)

Harry Beaumont - Trapped in Belgium

"Aquila" - Under fire (an officers introduction to the trenches)

Philip Gosse - Rats (an underated author tells of his time as Rat Officer to the second army)

Duncan Grinnell-Milne - Wings of Wrath

Guy Chapman - Storm over Albert

Louis Strange - The second Battle of Ypres (from "recollections of an airman")

Francis Brett Young - In the African Bush (from Marching on Tanga - a must have on East Africa)

Mrs C S Peel - The Daylight Raid (a noted writer on the home front)

Herbert Read - "In Retreat"

There are many more but this perhaps gives an insight into the quality of what remains one of the best compendiums of Great War writing, Keep scanning those charity shop shelves - they turn up regularly.

• 2 years later...

Found a battered but readable copy of this book in a charity shop for the sum of 50p.

Started reading some of the stories and enjoyed "War is War by Ex Private X." Discovered that it was written by Alfred M Burrage of the 1/28th London Regt, Artists Rifles.

Has anybody read this book and what did they think of it? Any feedback would be most welcome.

regards Stuart