The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Post-1918 Service Records

chris basey

Having exhausted local Regimental sources I would appreciate advice on where to look - and the possibilities of success - for service records of four WO/NCOs who had served throughout WW1 and are presumed to have retired in 1920/30s. Thanks in advance of your help.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris,

You need to enquire at the Army Personnel Centre which is in Glasgow (0141 224 3509). If they served in the Home Guard you need to speak to the Army Medal Office in Droitwich (01905 772323).

Paul is partially correct, records of servicemen who left HMF post 1920 are only usually available to NOK, unless you are ex-HMF yourself. There are other circumstances where records are available but this is for individuals acting in official capacities.

Ian :)

Paul & Ian

Thank you for that advice. It's all a bit chicken and egg-ish - might be able to find the record if you know the discharge date which you can only get from the service record! If only we had the same approach as the Dominions!

Paul is partially correct, records of servicemen who left HMF post 1920 are only usually available to NOK, unless you are ex-HMF yourself. There are other circumstances where records are available but this is for individuals acting in official capacities.

Before MOD are swamped with requests from people asking for the service records of people who are not their direct next of kin simply because they are ex-HMF, perhaps you had better expand on what you mean by this. It may not be that apparent to the average visitor to this site.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Before MOD are swamped with requests from people asking for the service records of people who are not their direct next of kin simply because they are ex-HMF, perhaps you had better expand on what you mean by this. It may not be that apparent to the average visitor to this site.

RIGHT!

CASE STUDY - 2 years ago I inherited some artefacts belonging to a soldier who had served WW1 & Home Guard WW2. I wanted to find out more information about him. After making the necessary enquiries I was sent a form but couldn't prove any relationship to him as I was the sole relative and there was no one I could ask. I did some research but the link was extremely tenuous. I went back to the MOD and stressed that I was not making a medal claim (I had his pair & Defence Medal anyway!) and giving my service details, I was sent what information they had in the man. It was a summary rather than what you would get at the PRO.

You have to show a good reason for having the information. In my case I produced the man's birth and death certificates, which probably helped my case.

OK!

Ian :)

Thanks for clarifying that Ian - what you describe is what I thought you meant.

Under certain circumstances the MOD will release information, and even issue medals, to people who are not direct NOK (although for medals there has to be a family relation somewhere), if in the opinion of the MOD the motives of this person are honourable. It is not, as you suggest, restricted to people who are ex-HMF, but in fact applies to anyone.

However, the amount of information provided is normally limited, and as I understand it personal details (eg, medical records) are not normally supplied.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Oh yes absolutely!

In the case I cited the constant statement by the MOD was was 'We can't issue you with any medals' - and my constant answer was 'Don't want them cos I've got them - I just want some background information!'.

I think my persistance (and record) convinced them of my sincerity in the end!

Ian

• 5 weeks later...

Chris

On the principle of leaving no stone ...

I found service records in Kew last month for an NCO who had served until 1939. Rare I know but it happens!

Tony