The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt HM Matheson RFC

Guest stevebec

This is an other AIF soldier granted a commision in the RFC.

He is shown as dieing with 1 Sqn AFC between 24th and 26th December 1917. But the date of 25th Dec 1917 is used most often.

The CWGC site lists him just as HM Matheson but his enlistment name is Harry Macky Matheson.

Records show him dieing of exposure I think some where in the Egyptian desert?

Does anyone know anything about this man was he shot down or crashed for some reason and did he have some one else on the aircraft?.

I could find no other deaths with him so he must have died alone somewhere in the desert?

Thanks for any insight

S.B

Lt H M Matheson was an observer in No 67 Sqn RFC/No 1 Sqn AFC who had transferred from the Australian Army Medical Corps. According to 'Airmen Died in the Great War' he wandered into the desert and died of exposure on 25/26 December 1917. There's no mention of a pilot, or an aeroplane, so it looks like the poor man was on foot or horse at the time.

Thanks Mate,

It was something I heard some where that he may have committed suicide?

But how he came to be lost in the desert from an Airfield is strange. Now as an old soldier I've wandered outside our lines when looking for that safe place to go to the dunny but his loss is not that simple or is it?

I surpose we may never know.

Thanks again

S.B