The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt-Col E.O. Wright

Chris_Baker

I'm just writing up an article for the site about the first German phosgene attack on 19 December 1915.

The British Official History says "Lt-Col E.O. Wright, the ADMS of 49th Division, was killed by a shell whilst supervising the evacuation of gassed men".

But I can't find this officer listed in "Officers Died in the Great War", nor on the CWGC website. Probably as it was compiled from both, he's not in that excellent volume 1 of the "Cross of Sacrifice" either. Curious.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Chris

Glad to have been of assistance.

In case it is of interest here is Wight's RHS Bronze Medal citation.

Wight, E.O., Surgeon Captain, Medical Staff Case 26159

At great personal risk, rescued a private of the 4th Madras Pioneers from drowning at Burmah, on the 7th May, 1892

Dave

Guest A Mafia Man

Having just looked at the details ref this man I see that he came froom the Grazeley area, just outside Reading.

I am up & down into Reading quite a lot, & I know the Grazeley area well, if it would be of any use to your research I will see if I can pinpoint the house, & send you off a picture of how it is today. Just let me know.

Regards

Joe

Joe, that is very kind but I will not need that on this occasion. (Although another Pal might). I am compiling the list of senior officers that died in the "quiet" period between Loos and the Somme, and he was one I could not pin down through the extraordinarily quick electronic means we have today. But now I know why, of course. Having said that I rechecked my OH and he's in there as Wright. Typo or one that slipped past Edmonds?