The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British cemetery

the german

Hello,

I would like to ask for your help. Today, I got this photo of an English cemetery. Does someone have any idea, where this could be located? I also would like to know more about the buried soldiers.

The writer of the postcard was a member of the Reserve Infanterie Regiment Nr. 77. When he wrote the card, he had been sent to a Minenwerfer Abteilung (VII. Armeekorps) to get a trench mortar training. It is dated Carvin, August 15th 1915 and he tells his sister, that he has just arrived at Carvin. So there is a possibility, that this picture was taken before and not in the area of Carvin ! The R.I.R. 77 was located near La Bassee in July/August 1915.

cem.jpg

There are 21 crosses on the photo and each one has a black ribbon. They are numbered from left to right, starting with 1.

I am able to read the names on No. 1 - 3 :

1 Samuel Grice

2 Joseph Griffin

3 John Bennett

Beside " R.I.P." , there are the letters " IL ". I know, what R.I.P. means, but what stands IL for?

Thank you

Hinrich

Hinrich - I might be well off mark here, but I had a (very) quick check of the CWGC site and found that there are the following men buried in Lille Southern Cemetery:

S. Grice, 2nd Notts & Derby Regt, grave III.A.1

J. B. Griffen, Notts & Derby Regt, grave III.A.2

J. C. Bennett, East Yorks, grave III.A.3

All died in 1914.

• Admin

Looking in The Silent Cities, some of the French graves look similar too in the photo of Lille Southern. I'm afraid I can't put in a picture, butI'm sure some kind soul can!

Regards, Michelle :blink:

Picture is very typical of the photos I have seen of early war German cemeteries in France - these men would almost certainly have been wounded prisoners of war, treated by the German medical services in one of the field hospitals near Lille who succumbed to their wounds. I photos of similar graves in POW Camp cemeteries in Germany itself.

Can't think what 'IL' might stand for in English; in German... ?

Hi,

thank you all very much for the replies.

The name on the 2. cross is definetly "Griffin" (wrong spelling by a German?)

I don`t have an idea, what "IL" could mean in German. It is written on every single cross.

Hinrich

ILMO = In loving memory of

often written on gravestones