The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt George Sainton Kaye Butterworth MC

Mark

I've been looking into the life of the composer George Butterworth who was KIA on 5 August 1916 by a sniper during a trench raid and is remembered on the Thiepval Memorial. I could not find his MC citation in the on-line London Gazette but understand it to be for the defence of a trench which was subsequently named after him.

Can anyone help with the citation and/or the trench location or any other information relating to his military service? I will look up his service records on my next visit to the NA.

George Butterworth MC

Some years ago, I placed a poppy cross in a field near Pozieres, which a knowlegeable friend assured me was as good a guesstimate as possible of where Butterworth fell. I couldn't place it on a map, but I can put you in touch someone who can.

Writing to his parents, his CO commented favourably on the trench, the digging of which Lt Butterworth had overseen, and it being named after him.

He had originally enlisted in the DCLI, before being commissioned into the Durhams, and was captivated by his soldiers' accent and turn of phrase. However, he seems to have said little about his musical background. A fellow officer, learning of his achievements in obituaries, expressed surprise, as Butterworth had never spoken about music to him.

Thanks for the link, by the way.

There is a brief account of him in "Pozieres" by Graham Keech in the Leo Cooper series, and an entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.

From what I've read he could not get the Oxford University OTC to recommend him for a commission, so he enlisted instead in the 6th DCLI on 1 Sept 1914. Transferred to 13th DLI and commissioned 2/Lt Nov 1914. Promoted Lt May 1915, and was at the front on 10 Sept 1915.

The MC was for his supervision of trench digging, during which he was wounded, at Contalmaison, on 27 July 1916.

A good friend of mine, Steve Miller wrote a book on the memorial in his home village. It is 'A Gloucestershire Village in the Great War: The Story of Apperly and Deerhurst 1914-1918' by Steve Miller ISBN 0954169107. Butterworth's father was the local vicar, and Steve's book has quite a sizeable entry on Butterworth. I'm happy to copy if needed.

Stand To gave the book a good write up and I know how much effort Steve put into it. Copies still available!

Simon

Mark,

he was gazetted with a hyphenated name, which was probably why you couldn't find him:

SUPPLEMENT

TO

The London Gazette

Of

FRIDAY, the 25th of AUGUST, 1916.

Temp. Lt. George Sainton Kaye-Butterworth,

Durh. L.I.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He

commanded his Company after his Captain

had been wounded with great ability and

coolness. By his energy and utter disregard

of danger he set a fine example in

organising the defences of the front line.

His name had previously been brought to

notice for good and gallant work.

(I searched on 'George Sainton Kaye' which is a fairly unique string)

Jock

Mark - got your PM but can't seem to reply! Will p/c and send on asap.

Cheers

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Mark

The following are extracts from the 'Durham Forces in the Field 1914-1918'

'Before the morning of July 28th (1916) A company under Lieut. G.S. Kaye-Butterworth, M.C. assisted by a company of the 12th (DLI), had gained ground on the right by digging Butterworth Trench, 200 yards in length and almost parallel to the German Switch Line. Ten men were wounded in doing this and Lt Kaye-Butterworth was also hit, but remained in command. (A sketch map is included)

(5 July) Shortly after midnight Lieut. Kaye -Butterworth was ordered to come round the Loop with A company and form up for an attack, but our own shells were falling short here and this could not be done. ... The death of Lieut. G.S. Kaye-Butterworth, M.C. was a great loss to English music, as well as to the Thirteenth who knew him as a gallant and efficient offiver. He was killed by a German sniper in the early morning of August 5th.'

Hope this is useful

Tony