The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Oldest and youngest soldiers to serve

Guest Pete Wood

From the Brighouse Echo - a newspaper article of 1916:

SOWERBY Bridge claimed a record for the country - if not the empire - in having both the youngest and oldest soldiers to have served in the trenches.

Imbued with a sense of patriotic duty, 70-year-old Mr James White of Grange Place and 14-year-old George Smith of Belmont had lied about their ages to recruiting officers in order to get into the Army.

In the case of Mr White, who came under fire as a sapper with the Royal Engineers, his deception was discovered after four months when an Army doctor discovered he was an old man.

Although he pleaded with the authorities to remain, they reminded him of Army regulations and he was discharged with a clean sheet and good record.

George Smith, whose physical fitness and appearance belied his age, was anxious to join up immediately war broke out - even though he had just turned 14.

His parents were unable to dissuade him and in September 1914 the plucky lad joined the 2nd Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment, going to France the following March.

He took part in the ferocious Battle of Hill 60 in which the Dukes were badly hit and subsequently saw heavy fighting in other battles.

After 20 months service under fire, his mother finally claimed him back after convincing officers of her son’s subterfuge.

Teapots

Which issue of the Brighouse Echo did this article appear in. I live near Brighouse and would like to see the item for myself.

Many thanks

Rob

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Interesting how a 70 year old man could pose as a man suitable for the army. Perhaps he was very fit through manual work or did a Recruting Sgt turn a blind eye one wonders <_<

I am always surprised when you come across stories like this.............

Ian

Two men from our Village (Whitwell N. Derbyshire) who served were Alex. Smith who enlisted December 1914 aged 16yrs in November 1914, 1st Lincs in the trenches 1915,K.I. A. 16th April 1918 after winning the M.M. at Gurlu Wood. I photographed his inscription this week on the Tyne Cot Memorial after difficulty in finding it, he being listed in two places and a Smith.

Harry Squires age 50 years ( near neighbour of Smith) K.I.A. 30th March 1918,

( 180 Tunnelling Company R.E.) whilst being used as infantry defence of Albert German Spring Offensive, Commemorated on the Poziers Memorial.

Harry Squires Son, Levi, 2nd. Bn. Sherwood Foresters was badly wounded on a Trench Raid just South Hairpin Crater ( Hohenzollern ? ) 16th April 1917, died of wounds 8th May 1917 is buried in the Village Cemetery.

I have a soldier who was born in 1855.

His age on enlistment in the AIF is shown as 44?

He joined the Light Horse and not long after arrival in Egypt it was found out about his age.

Thomas Glanham had also served in the Soudan in 1885 with the NSW Bn and two times with difference units in the Boer War.

He died in 1926

S.B

Pte John M. Davies from Rhayader was recorded as 50 years old when he died of wounds in Flanders 10th September 1915. He was with the 1st Bn KSLI. From my research so far I suspect that he may have been 55 years old.

Reverting to the junior end of the age range:

A talented young violinist called Hyam Greenbaum was born 12 May 1901 in Brighton, where played Beethoven's Violin Concerto aged 7(!) and won an open scholarship to the Royal College of Music at 11. Anxious to do his bit, he falsified his age to enlist and was serving in trenches at 15, until his parents applied to War Office, and he was formally discharged.

George Jesse TUNMORE was born in Norwich in 1860 and enlisted in the 31st Brigade of Infantry in 1877. Service in India and Burma gained him the IGS (Burma 1887-89) followed by various UK postings. He reached RSM and was award LS&GC and, at the age of 43 was runner up in the Army & Navy heavy weight boxing championships! He retired in 1904 when a permanent staff member of 3rd Volunteer Bn Norfolk Regiment.

In 1914 at the age of 54 he re-enlisted as RSM 9th Bn Norfolk Regiment (part of KA) whom he trained until they left for foreign serive in 1915. He was discharged in 1919.

He had four sons all of whom were put into the Norfolk Regiment at the age of 14 years and all survived WW1.