The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tank Gunnery School - Merlimont Plage

A Tank Corps School of Gunnery was set up at Merlimont Plage in early summer 1917. Does anyone have any information about the structure of the place, the various elements of it or a list of instructors? Is there any record of instructors and staff manning tanks and taking them forward to counter the German Advance in Mar/Apr 1918?

Thanks.

Simon K

Simon

Checked through the books I have on the Tank Corps and not much

listed I'm afraid. There were apparently four training centres in France,

Wailly, Le Treport, Bermicourt, and Merlimont. One interesting point about

Merlimont is that when a sea landing was being planned against the Belgian coast

to coincide with 3rd Ypres, the original architect of the sea wall was located in France and he drew up plans for a replica wall to be built at Dunkirk for training purposes. A similar wall was also built at Merlimont for trails and training.

The Tank Corps history lists an abridged version of the syllabus for various

training schemes, tank maintenance, driving, battle training, etc but does not

say what training was carried out a which school.

Geoff

Thanks for the replies. I have been through the books in the Cranfield Library and have been in correspondence with Bovington. Everything I know about it is as follows:

Merlimont is a small coastal village situated between Le Touquet and Berck. The Gunnery School was set up in Apr 1917 by officers of Hy Branch MG Corps to train tank crews in the 6 Pdr, MG and revolver. The original staff were a handfull of officers and NCOs from A and B Bns. In May 1917 the decision was made to switch to Lewis MGs and 2 officers and 13 ORs were drafted in as instructors. The course was a week long and consisted of 3 days each on the 6 pdr and MG, with firing on a Sunday; at its height it was capable of training 3 Tank Bns at a time. Merlimont Plage was also a seaside rest camp for the Tank Corps with sea bathing and other rest facilities, groups got 14 days at a time. In Apr 1918 the 3rd Tank Bde was based at Merlimont.

My particular interest is a Captain Norman (Knocker) Edwards, originally 1/6 GLOSTERS, who went to Merlimont as an instructor in Oct 1917.

Grateful for any other info.

Regards

Simon K

The IWM has photos of a visit by the PM of Newfoundland to the School. Quite interesting.

(I should have said they're interesting because you can see the weaponry training that was going on...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

>There were apparently four training centres in France,

Wailly, Le Treport, Bermicourt, and Merlimont.

It's not at Le Treport but near Le Treport at Mers les Bains (Somme).

Regards

Jean-Luc DRON