The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Defence Corps Cap Badge

Gary Samson

Does anyone have an image of the Royal Defence Corps cap badge they would be happy to post on the forum or send me? A trawl on the net hasn't come up with anything. The badge design is - according to a rough sketch in Iain Swinnerton's book - a George V cypher, crown and banner (I'm sure this has a proper name) with "Royal Defence Corps". I think there's a later (post-1917 design) but this earlier version is the one I'm after.

Gary

The RDC Badge was a Royal Cypher GVR surmounted by a Crown with a "Riband" carrying the title "Royal Defence Corps",it was circular {Kipling & King Illust.#1063} they also wore this type of badge~below;{though this example is GVIR}

"Riband", that was it, thanks. And thanks too for the image. In the (rather indistinct) photograph I have of several men with this badge it looks more like the image I've attached (the illustration is one of Roy Symons's for Iain Swinnerton's Identifying your World War I Soldier from Badges and Photographs). Does this early badge design match any of those in K&K?

Gary

post-391-1145470494.png

Updated the image now batteries are back!

I have never seen the Swinnerton sketch as an actual badge[it looks a tad fanciful],it is more like the badge used on CWGC Headstones,which just carry the cypher?

The only badges I have acually handled or seen are as above,the GVR Round badge & a GVR one similar to the WW2 type.

Here's a detail from a photograph I have of eight RDC men at Woodchurch, Kent dated July 1917 (observers stationed at one of our windmills). This is probably the best example of the eight cap badges, all of which appear asymmetric (similar to the GvR badge illustration from Swinnerton's book) rather than the comparatively round badge from K&K. What do you think?

Gary

post-391-1145476759.jpg

Could well be,having re~read K&K they do describe such a badge{but sadly no illustration}:~" The cypher of King George V surmounted by an Imperial Crown,below the cypher ,a Scroll inscribed "Royal Defence Corps"~ In gilding metal{brass};

I would suspect it was a somewhat fragile badge & consequently replaced by the latter.

I have the Army Council Instruction for the raising of the R.D.C. i.e. A.C.I.841 of the 19th April 1916 and in the paragraph "Cap Badge & Shoulder Title" it states;-

5. The cap badge of the Corps will be the Royal Cypher and Crown and the shoulder title will consist of the letters R.D.C..

All Great War photo's I have seen only show the Royal Cypher cap badge being worn. However the Corps was re-raised in March 1934 and it is thought that the large round badge was the badge of the re-raised Corps. I have both in my own collection and the large one came from a large batch of them which were found over 30yrs ago.

Graham.

P.S.

Found a copy of the 1934 War Office letter about the re-raising and the last paragraph states;-

"Enrolled men will be alowed to wear the badge of the Corps which will be distributed free of charge. This badge will be the Royal Cypher and Crown within a circle bearing the title of the Corps."

There you have it gentlemen from the W.O. itself the large pattern is the 1934 pattern R.D.C. badge.

• 14 years later...
On 21/04/2006 at 23:37, Graham Stewart said:

I have the Army Council Instruction for the raising of the R.D.C. i.e. A.C.I.841 of the 19th April 1916 and in the paragraph "Cap Badge & Shoulder Title" it states;-

5. The cap badge of the Corps will be the Royal Cypher and Crown and the shoulder title will consist of the letters R.D.C..

All Great War photo's I have seen only show the Royal Cypher cap badge being worn. However the Corps was re-raised in March 1934 and it is thought that the large round badge was the badge of the re-raised Corps. I have both in my own collection and the large one came from a large batch of them which were found over 30yrs ago.

Graham.

P.S.

Found a copy of the 1934 War Office letter about the re-raising and the last paragraph states;-

"Enrolled men will be alowed to wear the badge of the Corps which will be distributed free of charge. This badge will be the Royal Cypher and Crown within a circle bearing the title of the Corps."

There you have it gentlemen from the W.O. itself the large pattern is the 1934 pattern R.D.C. badge.

Hi Graham

I am trying to obtain a copy of the Army Council Instruction for the raising of the R.D.C. i.e. A.C.I.841 of the 19th April 1916 you refer to with great difficulty and ask if you can sent me a short cut or email me mhp@post.com a copy please