The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Best/Favorite 1st person account

Radio23

I have ordered a number of WW1 books online and would be keen to find out what is regarded as the best/most popular 1st person account of WW1. I am not so interested in the higher eschalon accounts, more so books written by the men in the front line. Thank you so much, Steve

Hi Radio23

"Langemarck" and "Cambrai" by Captain Geoffrey, Dugdale, M.C.

This is a very good read, and I do not say that because he was a officer in the 6th K.S.L.I. (for anyone who does not know, this is the Battalion that I am most interested in). He records in his preface "It is not intended to be a story but a plain statement of facts which actually occurred". He does not go into the gruesome and disgusting side of the war he records "these episodes are dim in my memory and thankfully forgotten".

Annette

I found this a really difficult question to answer as there are many really good ones. But in the end I think I would have to go for this one. The words are cut and pasted from my own review on "The Long, Long Trail".

Occasional gunfire

A. W. Paton MM

pub. Bishop-Laggett Publishing 1998. ISBN 0 946273 17 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you only ever read one memoir of the Great War, read this one. Subtitled "Private War Diary of a Siege Gunner", it is beautifully produced in soft back form, including many excellent watercolour sketches and maps produced by the author. There is also a number of good photographs, a roll of honour and a good index among the 216 pages.

Alec Paton was for much of the war the Battery Commander's Assistant in 118 Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery. The Battery saw a great deal of service once it moved from Edinburgh to France. He tells the story not only of the times in action, but of the many incidents and characters that are so easily lost to history.

A wonderful read that deserves wider coverage.

OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE by Frank Richards - reprinted by Naval & Military Press. It covers the first days of August 1914 when Frank was called back to the Colours as a Reservist and was amongst the first of the BEF to cross to France with 2/RWF. He was then involved in nearly every major battle that took place on the Western Front, winning a DCM and MM in the processs.

Hello,

The books by Ernst Jünger are very good, but I liked "Schwere Artilleristen" by Max Eberwien also very much because of the honesty in it (one of the few books I read in which the author admits to have had quite a few love adventures with f.i. Roumenian women and German women whose husband was for some reason not present because of the war, the author also tells about his problems with officers etc.).

Jan

A Passionate Prodigality by Guy Chapman.

Beautifully written, describing his time with the Royal Fusiliers from 1915 to the end of the war. first published in 1933 and still in print.

Cheers.

To gain an impression of the experience of the Western Front, not just combat, I would suggest:

'The Middle Parts of Fortune (Her Privates We)' By Frederic Manning- not strictly a first person account, written in'Novel' form, this book relates the experience of a group of soldiers in 1916, two attacks are mentioned but the majority of the book is about their experiences behind the lines: a tour of duty if you like.

The second book is concerned with the experiences of 'being in the line' called 'Twelve Days: The Somme November 1916' by Sidney Rogerson

If you read both books I think you will gain, perhaps an impression of what it was like to serve on the Western Front for an extened period of time.

Well,

I simply have to say "With a Machine Gun to Cambrai" by George Coppard - never out of print in over 30 years. Vivid, self-effacing and one of the few on the MGC and

"Some Desperate Glory" , the diary of Lt Edmund Campion-Vaughan of the 8th Royal Warwicks. Quite harrowing in places, and the editors didn't go out of their way to make him "sympathetic" - quite the opposite at first .

WO161 contains some contemporary accounts of POW's recollections of their capture and subsequent treatment at POW camps, hospitals, transport, etc. Absolutely fascinating reading - if only it were published !

Michael

I would have to go for Edmund Blunden's "Undertones of War" as far as the infantry are concerned. However I know that their are hundreds of accounts I haven't yet read and I may change my mind. I was very impressed with Will Bird's "Ghosts have warm hands".

Nor would it be fair to leave out other branches of the army and Neil Fraser-Tytler's "Field guns in France" is quite brilliant; and closely followed by Kingham's "London Gunners".

Garth

I really liked 'The First Seven Divisions' by Lord Ernest Hamilton who was a Captain in the 11th Hussars.

It is a detailed account of the B.E.F from Mons to Ypres.

It contains a wealth of minutaie of day to day stuff including first or second hand accounts about a lot of the casualties, although the vast majority of those named are Officers rather than OR's

I would also like to commend "Some Desperate Glory". Its climax at 3rd Ypres is incredible. The Blunden and the Manning also take some beating - but I think the thing with all first hand accounts is that one incident or telling detail can suddenly and unexpectedly illuminate the whole canvas of the Great War.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Published - 'With a Machine Gun to Cambrai' by George Coppard MM. (Cpl 37 MG Coy), which I had the privelidge of reviewing for the Forum.

Unpublished - The war diaries of my two great-uncles and a Pte in the Essex Regt who served at Gallipoli - there is an interesting entry about the Sandringham Company.

Ian :)

I really liked 'The First Seven Divisions' by Lord Ernest Hamilton who was a Captain in the 11th Hussars.

I'm also a fan of this book, no least as it was first published in February 1916 and the style of writing is so "of the time", although I wouldnt really call it a first hand account

First Party accounts have got to be;

"Old Soldiers Never Die" by Fank Richards (just received his book Old Soldier Sahib

today)

"Somme Harvest" by Giles EM Eyre

"There's a Devil in the Drum" by John F Lucy

I've re-read this books several times.

Geoff

my fave has to be 'Deaths Men' by Dennis Winter.

Mainly because it was the first, first person account I read about WW1 and also because it open my eyes to what it was really like - not a romantic book in any way shape or form.

Made me cry.

Fleur

'The war the infantry knew 1914-1919' Captain J C Dunn.

The first first person account I read and still one of my favourites.

Although 'Old soldiers ....' and 'There's a devil ....' also take some beating.

Hi,

'My Bit 'by George Ashurst does it for me.

But i'll also go along with the others, and recommend' Some Desperate Glory.'

One of my favourite books of all time.

Happy reading

Ian.

George Ashurst lived a long time. Paul Reed knew him. His book was published late in life.

You know you are not in for the usual read when they head to France in 14. He tells about a man who slits his throat on deck and says something like, " Some wag put it out he'd been to France before."

I have read this one at least four times. This man was a true working class man whose family lived all over Lancashire.

• 1 year later...

I am not sure I have a favorite, though I have enjoyed all the classics... Graves, Junger. I think even the first hand accounts included by authors like MacDonald shed a little first hand insight for those of us who have a keen interest in the time period.

I have just started "With a Machine Gun.." and I don't think my high expectations will be disappointed.

Andy

'There's A Devil In The Drum' by John Lucy is my favourite closely followed by 'The Advance From Mons 1914' by Walter Bloem.

I can also recommend 'The Master of Belhaven'. For anyone with an intrest in artillery, this is a must.

SEAN

"Some desperate glory" is also my favourite, but I would also like to recommend the following books:

- "A Subaltern's War" by Charles Edmonds (Charles Carrington)

- "The Weary Road" by Charles Douie

- "A Sergeant-Major's War - From Hill 60 to the Somme" by Ernest Sheppard

Walter