The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Madness and the Military: Australia's Experience of the Great War

RodB

Major Tyquin of the army's medical corps has published this to coincide with Anzac day. According to the Sydney Morning Herald review he looks at the the other side of the Anzac legend : diggers left mentally damaged.

I hope to get hold of a copy soon.

• 6 months later...
Major Tyquin of the army's medical corps has published this to coincide with Anzac day. According to the Sydney Morning Herald review he looks at the the other side of the Anzac legend : diggers left mentally damaged.

I hope to get hold of a copy soon.

Can you please provide this Canadian (Toronto) researcher who is writing a history of shell shock in the CEF the FULL BIBLIOGRAPHICAL details on this book and WHERE the BEST places to buy this book might be?

Thanks

John

The handyman at my family's camp in Maine in the '50s and '60s was Percy, an American Doughboy who had shell shock. He couldn't abide cities and towns, so he did odd jobs in the country.

Not the same book, but here's another one:

Military Stress and Performance

Managing stress is an important issue not only for the military, but equally for other high-risk professions. Focusing on the Australian Defence Force experience, this work provides a synthesis of a wide range of research, offering a coherent, integrated approach to the subject.

Author: ,

George Kearney; Mark Creamer; Ric Marshall & Others

Publisher: Melbourne University Press

ISBN: 0522850545

Format: Paperback Book

Hi John

See the following for purchasing a copy of this book:

http://www.warbooks.com.au/IndividualBooks...20MILITARY.html

Cheers, Frev

Knowing still how long a major long distance air flight will take what with security precautions these days and the price charged Canadians for this book - is there ANYONE who can tell us here exactly what the table of contents indicates, the scope of what he includes AND excludes (for example does he distinguish between shell shock and the INSANE?),his sources (primary, secondary, personal,etc...)?

My book will be very long and academic. ALSO I intend to identify ALL the war time id shell shocked (about 10,000 at present) and as many of the post-1918 as I can.

Does anyone know how I can reach via EMAIL the author? I believe he is a serving Major in the Australian Army Medical Corps possibly attached to the Australian Army History Unit.

Thanks all.

Johnny CANUCK!

Toronto

A War of Nerves; soldiers and Psychiatrists, 1914-1994

Ben Shepard

ISBN 0-7126-6783-0

Pimlico (Random House

Kim

A well written but still a JOURNALISTIC account and definitely NOT a MEDICAL nor an ACADEMIC account. One should stress a journalistic historically based narrative (done fairly well by the way) rather than the definitive history etc.....

Tx,

John

Toronto

Does anyone know how I can reach via EMAIL the author? I believe he is a serving Major in the Australian Army Medical Corps possibly attached to the Australian Army History Unit.

Thanks all.

Johnny CANUCK!

Toronto

Hi John,

I have just sen this post, hence the delay.

I have spoken to the relevant authorities and if you write to:

Directorate of Officer Career Management - Army

R8-8-021

Russell Offices

CANBERRA

Austrlian Capital Territory 2600

Australia

they will pass your request onto Major Tyquin. We do not have an Army Historical Unit and they cannot provide his contact details for privacy reasons.

You will need to include your reasons for wishing to contact him and provide you full contact details.It is then up to Tyquin to contact you.

Hope this helps and all the best with your book.

Regards

Crunchy

• 1 month later...
Hi John

See the following for purchasing a copy of this book:

http://www.warbooks.com.au/IndividualBooks...20MILITARY.html

Cheers, Frev

Although when you first posted this I think I was able to get the page up despite repeatedly trying I cannot now December 27,2006 here in Toronto, Canada I cannot. Any way to furnish me with full ordering details, etc...from this publisher site, etc....? Any way to using the book's isbn number to track the actual publisher (official Army history?) and of course direct contact and ordering information (this latter is refereable to the commercial publisher)?

Tx,

John

a little wee bookshocked :lol:

John

I've probably had too much Christmas 'cheer' - still feeling a little 'seedy' & I haven't quite get my head around what you're after. (Especially since the link I posted to the War Book Shop still works fine for me)

Anyway, I'm guessing you want the publishers address??

So here it is:

Australian Military History Publications

13 Veronica Place

Loftus, NSW, Australia, 2232

Phone: 02-9542-6771

Fax: 02-9542-6787

[iSBN: 1876 439 890]

Finally read this just before Christmas - and have to say as interesting & informative as I found it - I feel he could have written it in 90 pages rather than 180. By the time I got to the finish the repetition had just about driven me 'mad'!

Happy New Year, Frev

John

I've probably had too much Christmas 'cheer' - still feeling a little 'seedy' & I haven't quite get my head around what you're after. (Especially since the link I posted to the War Book Shop still works fine for me)

Anyway, I'm guessing you want the publishers address??

So here it is:

Australian Military History Publications

13 Veronica Place

Loftus, NSW, Australia, 2232

Phone: 02-9542-6771

Fax: 02-9542-6787

[iSBN: 1876 439 890]

Finally read this just before Christmas - and have to say as interesting & informative as I found it - I feel he could have written it in 90 pages rather than 180. By the time I got to the finish the repetition had just about driven me 'mad'!

Happy New Year, Frev

Happy New Years to you as well down under!

I suspect that under 200 pages that it might be a very tight and well written account or explanation. My book aims to be definitive :lol:. I still think that the Tyquin book will be good though for the framework, context, some sources, the Australian contemporary angles etc...on shell shock. The literature is vast.

I presume that you have given me a full mailing address above.

Any way that they have their own web page(s) and/or email(s)?

The last would of course be a real SHOCKER!

John

Toronto

John

20 years ago I was on exchange at the Canadian Forces Medical Services School at Base Borden, a little over 50 km (if I remember right) north of Toronto on the Barrie road. The School had a fair library and may have one or 2 titles that might be hard for you to find. I'm sure there'd be an interest there in your project as well.

Doubtless, you've already accessed the interesting report on Canadian psychological casualties prepared for SHAEF in WWII. Have it somewhere, but it could take years to find it in the turmoil that is my collection.

As to Tyquin, I have Gallipoli - The Medical War and Little By Little. I wouldn't describe his work as a 'cracking good read' but I do enjoy his provocativeness.

Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing it reviewed in the [british] Army Medical Services Journal.

Chris

Thanks Chris for your positive encouragement. It is a Long Long Trail to Tipperary as they say but I am certainly well on my way. My work is academic and thoroughly researched. In next few days I will be seriously deciding how and which software to use for my initial shell shock db of casualties and victims. More bibliographical notes will be taken etc..... I already as you can imagine have a great deal of great stuff including British as well as Canadian (and other nations as well). One thing though: what about French, German, Italian and Belgium shell shock MODERN historical books? For almost all of these countries despite WW 2 much of their medical and hospital records survive but one hardly sees any books from them!

Might even make it to Ottawa first weekish of January!

Tx again and best wishes Chris for your new year!

John

Toronto

Thanks John. I try to spend at least a week a year down at Kew, usually in the late winter early spring. I'll try to remember to PM/email you when next trravelling there. Would be happy to spend a few hours photographing files specified by you. Keep me in your info loop.

My interest is non-professional, but was seriously stimulated by a book written by an old boy of my, son's school, Pocklington: Anatomy of Courage

Lord Moran

Chris

• 1 year later...
John

Did you end up getting a copy of Michael Tyquin's book?

Andrew

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I was prepared to phone long distance even to Australia direct to the publisher and give them which I dislike doing my credit card information via phone. So no I still do NOT have a copy of this interesting book. In the meantime I have copied two entire Canadian field ambulance hospital admission books! (took a few weeks but what the heck eh?) and am imminently about to start my Access dbs on Canadian shell shock. Any way you can help me get a new or nearly new copy of this book?

Thanks,

John

John - I still can't understand why you can't get the link to the War Book Shop to work (in post 5)

Incase you hadn't realised - the bookshop & the publishers of the book are one and the same.

[ie. Australian Military History Publications & the War Book Shop]

The website is: www.warbooks.com.au

Email address is: warbookshop@bigpond.com

Contact is Clive Baker

Cheers, Frev

I know Michael. Just did a course with him. If anyone wants to contact him direct send me a PM.

Rgds

Tim D

Hello ANZACS! I think you can acces my email via the GWF (?) since my mail box on the GWF is currently full. In the next day or so I will more or less empty it out by copying messages. Please bear with me. Thanks to the 3 ANZACS who have tried to help this Canadian out. Find the 1997 Victoria University dissertation quite interesting as a good lead and as a cross-cultural comparison for returned ANZACS suffering from mental health issues.

Thanks

John

Feel free to pass on my direct email to the author of Military Madness btw

Have sent Michael an e-mail on your behalf John.

Rgds

Tim D

I researched a soldier who was discharged from the British Army after the Boer War on medical grounds. Across his discharge sheet was written the word 'Insane'. He then went to Australia and in 1914 enlisted, falsely claiming that he had served 12 years in the Army. He went to Gallipoli, landing on the first day, was wounded and returned to Australia. On release from hospital he was sent to Egypt and then to France. He was then sent to England and into hospital with various mental problems. Finally, he was sent back to Australia and discharged as "lunatic but harmless". He had managed to make the rank of Sergeant by then!

The medical board found that his problems were brought on by "stress of the campaign".

Steve

I researched a soldier who was discharged from the British Army after the Boer War on medical grounds. Across his discharge sheet was written the word 'Insane'. He then went to Australia and in 1914 enlisted, falsely claiming that he had served 12 years in the Army. He went to Gallipoli, landing on the first day, was wounded and returned to Australia. On release from hospital he was sent to Egypt and then to France. He was then sent to England and into hospital with various mental problems. Finally, he was sent back to Australia and discharged as "lunatic but harmless". He had managed to make the rank of Sergeant by then!

The medical board found that his problems were brought on by "stress of the campaign".

Steve

There are several excellently documented cases of what we would not call mentally ill persons prior to 1914 enlisting voluntarilly and serving okay during the war and when the war ended reverting to what we would not label as mentally ill symptoms and thus treated accordingly. Military service required obedience and was of course structured for the lower ranks: hence those who had difficulties making decisions for their own welfare had most if not nearly all such decisions made for them.

Secondly soldiers could as we now know be suffering from multiple mental illnesses concurrently. Thus a soldier could be a schizophrenic AND suffering from "shell shock."

John