The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1914 star

j.r.f

Dear pals

I have reciently recieved from my brother in CANADA my grandfathers brothers death penny.With it was a document ,original,which states that here was enclosed the 1914 STAR.The star has unfortunatly been lost.However my question is this .He died on 11/11/1914 whilst fighting with the Connaught Rangers.He is remembered on the Menin Gate.Please would he also be entitled to the 1914 clasp since he was in face to face battle with the enemy before the 22/11/1914?Please where can I get hold of a copy of the 1914 star and if apropiate the clasp?

Thanks.

JOHN :D

The authority for grant of medal and clasp is the regimental medal roll at Kew, and the easier reference is the medal index card. It seems almost certain that he was entitled to the clasp [and two silver roses [one a spare] to be worn when medal ribbon alone was worn]. However, the clasp HAD TO BE APPLIED FOR after the war by survivors or their next of kin, so may never have been issued.

For medals, I use Worcester Medal Service Limited, a reputable and professional firm who have always done the job for me.

If I remember correctly, an Officer had to confirm the applicant had been under fire before the application was processed. This would cause problems if the applicant's Officer had died sometime in the war.

Then again, I could be wrong :)