The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Arthur Newman MC

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi,

After searching the London Gazette for possible awards to some of my ancestors, I came across one Arthur Newman, Essex Regiment TF.

I know he was awarded the MC, gazetted on 3 June 1916.

I have two questions, (1) How can I find his service No.? and (2) He was awarded the "Order of Karageorge, 4th class, (with swords)", gazetted 15 Feb 1917, can any one please enlighten me on this award as I've never heard of this one!

Thanks in advance

Stewart

The MC was an award to officers and officers didn't have service numbers at that time.

Karageorge was a Serbian patriot and so I assume it was a Serbian decoration.

The Order of the Star of Karageorge was instituted in 1904 by King Petar 1st to commemorate his accession to the Serbian throne.

The Star with Swords was instituted on 28 May 1915 and was for bravery. There were some 2,349 Serbian awards of all types given to the British Army during WW1. Given that Arthur Newman had received the MC, this was almost certainly the Serbian equivilent. The distribution of foriegn awards was a matter for the British authorities, in the same way that Britain distributed awards to allied nations.

Terry Reeves

Guest birdflightless

Thanks guys,

I've just found out that Arthur was also awarded the DFC, gazetted 5 April 1919.

"Lt. (A./Capt.) Arthur Newman, M.C. (4th Bn.,Essex R, T.F.). (FRANCE)

A gallant and determined officer who has carried out over one hundred most successful bombing raids, frequently in face of severe hostile fire. He has also destroyed two enemy aircraft, and rendered valuable service on reconnaissance and photograpic patrols.

Just one more question, is it common for a soldier to retain his regiments identity whilst serving with the RAF?

Small correction.

Perfectly possible to have a service number AND an MC ......... Warrant Officers [who did have numbers] were eligible for MC,

and then of course any soldier [with a regimental number] could go on to be commissioned and then receive an MC, and still have a rgtl. number to be found within his PRO file.

Langley

You are, of course, quite correct. I had overlooked these two possibilities although it seems they do not apply in this case.

And, for the record, officers' service numbers do occur post WW1!