The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Serjeant Murgatroyd DCM Royal Fusiliers

stevehowarth

I was impressed with help given to Radio23 in finding info. about Private Rogerson of the RF.

I have a RF of the 2nd Bt. that I am researching: Serjeant 17650 William 'Allan' Murgatroyd. He was awarded the DCM in October 1917 and was killed on 20 March 1918.

I am keen to know whether H.C. O'Neill's Royal Fusiliers and the Great War would be helpful.

Any 'look-ups' or further leads would be appreciated.

Steve

Steve

I regret to say that he is not mentioned in H.C. O'Neill's "Royal Fusiliers and the Great War". But of course many incidents and actions are covered. The 2nd Bn action at Poelcapelle on 9 October is covered in about two pages. Any use?

Steve

Lance Corporal John Owen Jones 2nd /2nd Bn. London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers)

who appears on the Rhayader Memorial died on 21st March 1918. I was very grateful to receive information from one of the Pals - Bill MacCormick -about where the 2nd Bn were at that time.

"On the 21st March the 2/2 Londons were in the forward defensive zone around Travecy and Japy to the west of La Fere (on the River Oise.) Their positions were on the west bank of the St Quentin Canal."

If Serjeant Murgatroyd was with the 2nd/2nd was he moving up to the forward position on the 20th or there already ?

Myrtle

Sgt Murgatroyd was in the 2/RF not the 2/City of London (RF). The 2/RF were around Ypres on 20th March. There is no battalion history of the 2/RF so the War Diary will need to be consulted for details of events on 20th March 1918.

Chris

The 2 pages in O'Neil's history of the RF would be very useful. Would you be able to scan them on to the forum? It would be much appreciated.

Steve