The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mons Retreat to Victory

andigger

I am just finishing up this book and I thought it was a great summary of the opening weeks of the war with an easy to follow recounting of the plans and movements of the BEF and French army. The book also gave good insight into the struggles between Lanrezac and Joffre as well as Kitchner and French. At times it seemed that Terraine became bit of a cheerleader for the BEF rather ackowledge some failings in leadership. On balance though it might just be my perception rather than the way it was.

I woudl definitely recommend this book as a great introduction to the fighting in 1914. Has anyone else read it, and what do you think?

Andy

Now read Edward, or is it Edwin Spears Liaison 1914 to see what the French were thinking at same time, great book.

I'd agree with Paul there Andy, Retreat to Victory is one side of the story and Liaison 1914 is a good accompanying book to give the french viewpoint- try and get hold of it.

Yes, Edward Spears' book is a fabulous read. Crafted like a high quality mystery/novel. Gripping. If you want a different view of the BEF High Command, try 'Trial by Fire'. Von Kluck's book will give you a German perspective.

Robert

Glad to see others love this book, I re-read the great ones, this one 3 times so far, it's just gripping though you know the outcome, the tension is there, best of all it's in paperback so won't bankrupture you and real long!

At times it seemed that Terraine became bit of a cheerleader for the BEF

Seems to me that that was always Terraine's purpose in life.

Liaison 1914 is a great book which I really ought to have re-read before now. Spears has a brilliant sense of humour at times; his reference to an elderly bow-legged Frenchman being insulted as "A worm in brackets" and his beautifully understated translation of the screams of a panicked French general, "Nous sommes foutous! Nous sommes foutous!" (Lit. We're all f****ed!, Spears "...politely rendered, means 'we're all doomed'), did much to bring a smile to my face during an otherwise tense and grim book.

Something else I've been meaning to post.... does anyone else's copy have missing text between pages 113 and 114? I have two copies and both seem to have this section missing. Pg 113 ends with a quote, but pg 114 starts in the middle of another paragraph.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

My copy has (p113) - As on the previous day, the English again vanished without leaving a trace." Unfortunately, the South (->p114) Lancashires, holding on to their positions ...

which seems to follow. This is from the Batsford edition.

Ken

pg 113 "For such conduct there is only one punishment: immediate... (pg 114)... not only a long one in point of time, but that time was filled with large events."

Wordsworth Edition

In the Batsford edition p113 (out of 217, not including appendix) is 4 pages after the start of Chapter 6 - The Retreat Begins -. If you give a chapter number I could look to see if the text is included in this version.

Ken

• 5 years later...

Is there an index in any edition? I have the Wordsworth Edition too and no index.

John

I read "Retreat to Victory" and Nloems "Advance from Mons" concurrently, i got them both at a discount book store at the same time.

I found Retreat to Viictory an excellent intro to the August/September campaign from the focus of the BEF, Lanseracs 5th army and Joffres planning to reinforce is left flank culminating in the MArne battle.

Bloem's book gives tells of the events from the German perspective and from the soldiers actually doing the long grulling marches in the late summer heat.

On thbing that stood out for me was how the German soldier's boots wore out on the march and how exhausting it was. Acording to "retreat to victory, the British reserve soldier's boots were nicley broken in and the tommies had gained their fitness.

Does this mean British Cows and cobblers were better than their German counterparts?

John

The 1960 Batsford edition has an index.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Any chance of a scan of the index?

John

John T certainly was a cheerleader for the BEF and for Haig when such an historian was needed. He would smile if he heard you say it. He was a man of strong views and was part of that band of important writers and enthusiasts who looked beyond the bunglers and butcher tag and helped start the process of reavaluation of this nation's war. Not least he was the man who said never forget that was Haig's army which beat the main body of the main army in the main battlefield of the war in relation to the 100 days From memory his book on Mons was written before the release of official documents, and if a liitle dated now, it still stands up to scrutiny well.

Perhaps it would be fairer to describe John Terraine as a prophet crying in the wilderness. There were very few cheerers to lead when he started. He was the first of the new revisionists. As David says, he did not have access to the data that is now available but his work has stood up very well.

Hi,

Any chance someone could scan the index and send me a copy?

Thanks

John

John Terraine's obituary included a reference to the Western Front Association of which, I think, he was a founding member. This lead me to a local group and indirectly to this forum. A fine writer.

Old Tom

I am just finishing up this book and I thought it was a great summary of the opening weeks of the war with an easy to follow recounting of the plans and movements of the BEF and French army. The book also gave good insight into the struggles between Lanrezac and Joffre as well as Kitchner and French. At times it seemed that Terraine became bit of a cheerleader for the BEF rather ackowledge some failings in leadership. On balance though it might just be my perception rather than the way it was.

I woudl definitely recommend this book as a great introduction to the fighting in 1914. Has anyone else read it, and what do you think?

Andy

Talking to a well known author (and controversialist) after the dinner at the Tally Ho, I understand that there is a book out next year that will paint a rather different picture about Mons and its place in history. (I think he is already preparing his bomb proof shelter). An old school friend who went through life saddled with the middle names Smith Dorrien (his granddad's wishes) might, from wherever he is,give him a posthumous cheer though.