The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

British Railways and the Great War

Neil Clark

British Railways and the Great War

By E Pratt (1922)

Volume 1

Volume 2

Does anyone know where I can obtain both volumes? How much am I likely to pay for them?

Any information gladly received...

Best Regards to all

Neil

Hi Neil,

AddALL seems to think that they're yours for $400

(If you don't know about AddALL then get back to me)

Cheers,

Ian

Neil

Just over 400 pounds on Abebooks for the two volumes! All may not be lost however. It appears this was compendium publication. It was originally published in 11 parts; parts 8 and 9 are for sale from the same source at £14 each.

Terry Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen copies (the pair) for around £60 - £150 over the last two or three years and you may also find it in the part work form as already suggested. If you just keep looking copies at a more reasonable price may well turn up. Though not the cheapest of booksellers an enquiry to Robert Humm (Stamford - in the railway station building), a leading railway book dealer may turn up either the two complete volumes of the partworks.

• 5 years later...

Since this thread started more than five years ago, copies of these volumes are now on the lists of many publishers as a 'Print on Demand'. The blurb states that they've been produced by OCR and may contain typos/errors. Has anyone purchased them? There seem to be several different ISBN numbers, different numbers of pages, and no clear description of what's being offered. How do these new reprints relate to Pratt's original two hardback volumes, which together total 1194 pages? I've got copies of the original on library loan at present, and would be interested in buying copies if they're any good, but somehow I feel wary of what the modern reprints offer in respect of quality and content.

Sue