The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Not Forgotten

SilverSoldier

I have just finished reading this book. Not Forgotten by Neil Oliver. Published by Hodder & Stoughten. ISBN. 0-340-89872-0

It accompanies the Channel Four series on WW1. A story of some of the Great War memorials in Britain and the untold stories behind these lists of names.

A fascinating acccount, very informative and interesting read.

Terry. W

Have to say I didn't enjoy it. Found it patchy, and bit "all over the shop". I also didn't really get what his angle was.

I'm not saying it wasn;t a bad book, I just didn't like it very much.

Like Mr McNay, I enjoyed it but only to a point. There were some very moving stories in there but I found myself wanting more info on most of them. Perhaps he was restricted by time / page count constraints?

Shame really, but certainly not knocking it as if it raises the profile of the war & the men / women who lived through it, then Im all for it.

I was disapppointed by it as well.

All over the place is one description I could use.

Martin

Sorry to join the crowd but I wasn't sure where he was going either

:lol: Sorry guys, I enjoyed it though!

Perhaps you would enjoy the book that I am currently reading, it's title is................

Regards,

Terry W.

PS see new thread :)

Have to agree, I was disappointed. One or two howlers with dates and places as well. thought it lacked direction

• 11 months later...

I agree with the general sentiments in this thread. It did seem 'formless'. There were also some poor editing. I didn't spot the 'howlers with dates and places' that Hambo mentions - perhaps a good test which I obviously failed miserably!

I did learn things. I didn't know anything about the Iolaire incident which surely was a tragedy of tragedies? I also felt that although the book wandered a bit aimlessly, I do find I do the same! You can be walking through a railway station when you suddenly come across the war memorial on the wall.... or you hear mention of a town in France in some other context which saw action....

So all in all, I enjoyed reading it for all it's faults, and will keep it on my bookshelf.

Neil Oliver wrote his overall perspective of the subject, the result of months, even years years of research, I imagine he had to work within restraints. Perhaps even within the requirements of his publisher.

There is only so much that an author can include in his tome. He probably would have wished to expand on some of the information. Howlers? I and many readers of books of this nature are'nt as knowledgable, perceptive as perhaps are some others.

Read it, had no illusion that it's content were absolutely correct or written in stone.

Terry W.

I expested better from an articulate and well-versed-to-the media-kinda guy!

Parts of the book were ok.....even moving..i can't doubt Mr O's emotional commitment to his chosen subject matter...but it was too disjointed....and too suggestive of Channel 4 saying 'we'll churn another one out o' this¬!'

Oliver is worth more, both as a historian and a presenter/writer

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, however it is the only one I can find on this book.

I was given this book for Christmas and I am really enjoying dipping in and out of it when I get a spare moment.

I can understand the "formless" criticism and not understanding where the author is coming from. Some passages on the philosophy of rememberance do read like an Alain De Botton book.

I think having a good knowledge of the Great War might be a disadvantage with this book. I would be interested to hear a review from someone without knowledge of the war.

That said, there are some stories (sections?) of this book that are just gems. In particular where he talks of rememberance and his memories of his grandparents as a child, as well as his relationship with his Dad. It dawned on me while reading it that I am the same age as Neil Oliver and my rememberances of my Pop and the few Great War soldiers I met are my rememberances linked to the Great War and are something my son will not experience. So rememberance in my family will very much be shaped by what I teach my children.

That's the message I take away from the book. Not everyone's cup of tea, but if your around forty years of age it might strike a chord.

Anyone read it since the last response of this thread?

Scott.

Oliver himself says that the book is not about the Great War, but about rememberance and what he percieves rememberance to be. I like books that wander like this, it makes it easier to pick up for 5 minutes and so there's no need for heavy detail. I had this book from the library last year, my 10 year old read a few passages and was touched enough to by me a copy for my birthday. Like has been mentioned if you have a good knowledge of the Great War I'm sure bits of this book will infuriate

if your around forty years of age it might strike a chord

It did for me also Scott.

cheers, Jon

Having not read this book yet by the author i can't comment on his perspective of the subject but have to mention that his latest television series on "The History Of Scotland" was a bit disjointed and was harshly critisized by academics in this field just recently.

Robert

Oliver himself says that the book is not about the Great War, but about rememberance and what he percieves rememberance to be.

I read the book a few months ago. As Jon correctly observes, this is not a history book, nor a book about the Great War; it's Oliver's reflections on the subject of remembrance, including thoughts from a personal, family perspective. As such it succeeds for me. The tragic story of the New Year's Eve 1919 disaster when so many returning survivors perished within sight of their homeland was told very poignantly, I thought.

Jim

• 4 years later...

It's been a while since this topic was up, so thought i'd give my view on the book. I was forewarned before starting by other entries on this page, but tried to keep an open mind when starting reading.

anyway, this is my view.

First: this in NOT a scientifically valuable book. It's a series of stories that, I'm sorry to say, have only one common point, and that is that they are either about the author or about a person who's dead. Oliver mixes up a lot of assets, some having nothing to do with the matter. With all respect to his family, but (P. 103-104) what does the episode of his daughter dancing in the kitchen have to do with remembering soldiers???

Second, the whole book displays a blatant lack of axiologic neutrality. ex: on P. 83, he writes: How could any of it ever be overlooked, far less forgotten? Or is it just me? a writer needs to stay neutral. talking about remembrance, this is not easy, and every single author will, at some point, let his opinion be heard, but this is too much. (I know, I've been brainwashed into this axiologic neutrality, but it's important in a book!)

Third, there is no clear aim in the book, and if it is answering the question asked a few times in the first chapter "Is this Remembrance", well the aim is not reached. There is no conclusion in the book, no red thread to follow throughout the stories proving a point, nothing. It's just stories, taken "plic-ploc" from visits, ideas, or I don't know what system, but there is no point proven.

And finally, even if there is a bibliography at the end, there are no references in the text (one or two exceptions) . Thus no way to control the sources of the stories, thus no way to control of those stories.

In short, this is, for the student of the first world war, a completely worthless book.

So far the saturday-morning thoughts !!

Have a nice day,

Marilyne

As Jim Clay said 'The tragic story of the New Year's Eve 1919 disaster when so many returning survivors perished within sight of their homeland was told very poignantly, I thought.'

I must agree that opening part of the book got me hooked . I read the book episodically so it did not worry me that it was somewhat formless.

Love the book.

Maxi