The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Need help

nshighlander

Hi

I`m sure someone can help me.This forum is AMAZING.I can not find the RFC

records for a man that was in the 85th.He was wounded at VIMY then join the RFC.

I have his army file.Where do I go from there.Would Ottawa have them?

Cheers

Dave ;)

Im not sure where you need to go. But I live in Ottawa so if there is any leg work you need done let me know, I would be interested in helping.

Paul

Dave,

I assume he went into the RFC and not the RCAF or it's predecessors - if so a British Archive would be your first choice.

Can you fill in anything more about the man; name, CEF rank, RFC unit and rank, was he a flyer or ground staff, whether survived etc. etc.

If you can post background like this it is more than likely that one or more of the pals can turn up some info or suggest where the relevant records are held.

Martin

Hi

The info I have.

222491 Pte Rod Richardson W at Vimy.Left the 85th CEF.Went in to the RFC(RAF).I

have his army records.His medals F CDT 316200 RAF.I would like to find more info on him.He return home are the war.

Cheers

Dave

Even while the war was still in progress, there was some pressure in Canada to get some recognition for the large number of Canadians serving with the British flying services. In 1919, the Canadian War Records Office in London began going through the British records for service information on Canadians. The result was an incomplete set of index cards giving what information could be gleaned on those airmen supposed to be Canadian. Ninety six hundred individuals were so identified. These were depostited with the Directorate of History, but may now be with the National Archives. This is obviously the source you want to access.

The definitive reference for this topic is "Canadian Airmen and the First World War" by S.F. Wise (from which I am abstracting this information). Incidently, Wise mentions a large number of airmen by name in the course of his narrative. Unfortunately, the only Richardson I have noticed is Lieutenant R.R. Richardson of Guelph, Ontario, who, stationed at Seton Carew, made and attack on a U-Boat on 10 May 1918 while flying a Sopwith Baby over Robin Hood's Bay. In June he was selected to fly the new Blackburn Kangaroo aircraft. I suppost that is not the fellow you are after.

Guest stevebec

Mate.

I am no expert on the RCAF or RAF.

But there were a large number of soldiers discharged from the AIF to the RFC/RAF during the war.

This was because our training units were to small and found it the best way to train large numbers of flyers with the British.

Once trained they would serve with British units or came back to the AFC.

Your man's rank appear's to be Fight cadet on his medal which could mean he was still under training at the end of the war?

soldiers would in the most part be a cadet untill gaining there wings then promoted.

It would follow as another Commonweath country the same many have happen to you guys.

S.B

Guest stevebec

Mate.

I am no expert on the RCAF or RAF.

But there were a large number of soldiers discharged from the AIF to the RFC/RAF during the war.

This was because our training units were to small and found it the best way to train large numbers of flyers with the British.

Once trained they would serve with British units or came back to the AFC.

Your man's rank appear's to be Fight cadet on his medal which could mean he was still under training at the end of the war?

soldiers would in the most part be a cadet untill gaining there wings then promoted.

It would follow as another Commonweath country the same many have happen to you guys.

S.B

Through most of the last part of the war the procedure for transfering to the RFC/RAF for other ranks (officers did it differently) went something like this:

The man chosen for flying training was sent for a "cadetship" during which time he was technically "on command" to the RFC. On successful completion of this phase he was discharged from the Canadian Expeditionary Force (or whomever) and taken on strength of the RFC as a Flight Cadet.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

If he joined the RFC there should be a record for him at the PRO and providing he also served with the RAF, he will also be included on the RAF Muster List.

Ian