The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Newfoundland Regt

Terry Denham

Can anyone please tell me the exact date of the change in name from Newfoundland Regiment to Royal Newfoundland Regiment?

In early 1918 I believe.

Terry, according to David Parsons in his excellent history of the regiment, "Pilgrimage":

It was the early part of December, 1917, that the Governor of Newfoundland, Sir Charles Harris, was notified that His Majesty, the King had approved the grant of the title "ROYAL" to the Newfoundland Regiment. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment was the only Regiment on which this honour was bestowed during the war, and only the third time that this honour had been given to a regiment in time of war. (The other times were in 1695 and 1885)."

Hope this helps -

Tom

Cheers Tom

I knew the honour was bestowed due to their efforts in the Salient at the end of 1917 but had assumed the wheels of the military would grind slower thus pushing the accolade into 1918.

Bob, I would say you're right right - there would almost certainly have been a gap between the powers that be being told of the King's decision and the grant, or whatever it was called, being issued and enacted.

I've checked again but can't see any further reference in David Parson's book.

Tom