The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

9th/Essex

Guest birdflightless

Guest birdflightless

Hi,

I am researching two brothers, 42153, Private, Frederick Charles Miller, and 34102, Lance Corporal, Bert Miller. Both of the 9th Battalion Essex Regiment, who died one day apart, (Bert on 04/04/1918 and Fred on 05/04/1918).

My question is this, where was the 9th/Essex in action on these days?

After looking our site I have found where the 12th Division were but only reference to 11th/Essex, I would be gratful if one of the Pals could answer my query.

Thanks

Stewart

Stewart,

According to "British Regiments", 11th Essex were 6th division and 9th Essex were 12th division and as such the 9th would have been in action at the Battle of the Ancre on April 5th 1918.

Bob.

Hi Stewart

I can not give you the line of the 9/Essex but the 12th Division held the line at Albert. I do not think the 12th Division came under direct attack on the 4th but on the 5th it was directly attacked. The Germans gained some ground but by the end of the day had been ejected from their gains except for a orchard half a mile north of Albert railway station. Sorry I could not give you more info. on the 9/Essex hopefully a Essex Regt. expert will give you more.

Annette