The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Charge

cliff brown

Guest Pete Wood

I know someone will come up with a better reply, but I am pretty sure that this is the infamous section which can be used to charge a soldier for almost any 'minor' offence that is not specifically named.

So while being drunk on duty has a specific charge, having a smirk on your face does not. So if your soldier smirks, or makes a rude noise, he could be charge under section 40 of the army act. I believe it was repealed in the early 1970s and replaced with the infamous section 69 - "conduct unbecoming of a soldier..."

If I am wrong, charge me....!!

Correct. Section 69 is the catch 22 of the British Army. Rather aptly numbered

I thought. Cant say what it was previously

Geoff

You will need a copy of the Manual of Military Law for the period to identify the offence. Out of interest, Section 69 was "conduct to the prejudice of good order and military discipline". Been there, got the T shirt. "Fined ten pounds, right turn, quick march, left right, left right........

Terry Reeves

Guest A Mafia Man

:D Oh what joys to read about the Section 69 of the Army Act 1953 !!!!!!

1st offence: Charged with 'wasting Army salt' (I knocked over the salt cellar at the table & the contents went everywhere, including over the feet of the BOS !)

Found 'guilty' & fined 10/- (Weekly pay for a boy soldier £5.19.6d before stopages)

Happy days

:rolleyes:

Cliff - the "new" Section 69 hardly differed from the "old" Section 40 of The Army Act as current during WW1 (the consolidated Army Discipline and Regulation Act of 1879) - referring to "every person subject to military law" and >

".... any act, conduct, disorder, or neglect, to the prejudice of good order and military discipline, ...................... Provided that no person shall be charged under this section in respect of any offence for which special provision is made in any other part of this Act, ..................." (etc)

regards - Tom