The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tommy at Gommecourt

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

Tommy at Gommecourt written by Tommy Higgins from the diaries of his grandfather. Available on amazon.

For another indepth view into life in the trenches of our galant heroes then this book is a brilliant read. Its not expensive but its one of those books that once you start to read you cant put down.

I was seriously thinking of buying this, so thanks for the positive vibes.

I made the mistake of ordering this on Amazon and still haven't received it. I ordered it on 2nd May and the projected delivery date was between 1st June and 16th June. If it hasn't arrived by Friday I will cancel.

Frustrating thing is I contacted the grandson of the author who told me he had copies to sell direct. If anyone wants the details let me know.

Bill,

PM on its way,

thanks Mandy

• 11 months later...

I bought a copy of this book on Monday (direct from the seller via ebay) and read it today. It is a must. A really excellent account of Tommy Higgins time at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916 and the 1/5th N.Staffs attack at Lens a year later where he was captured. The details of his capture and subsequent interrment at several German prison camp is enlightening, to say the least.

It really is an excellent account.

Steve.

Thanx for the udpate - looks like one for my birthday list

Stephen

There is certainly a touch of the Frank Richards about this book...enough said?

• 3 years later...

I felt the need to bring this thread back to the fore after meeting the Author today (or as he says, the publisher, as the original author was his Grandfather).

I had previously read a borrowed copy and now have my very own.

The book has it's own website here:

http://www.tommyatgommecourt.com/page1.aspx

• 4 weeks later...

I have bought this for my Dad for Christmas - reading the good reviews on here is great news!

I bought it from the National Memorial Arboretum gift shop, they are currently in stock if anyone else is hoping to get it soon.

I will (hopefully!) get to read it after Dad, so I'll give my thoughts when I've done so :)

• 2 months later...

I brought this book t'other day whilst at the visitors centre on Cannock Chase. They have a few copies signed by Alan the grandson of Thomas James Higgins who's diary is used.

What a read it is. IMHO I think this should be part of every secondary schools history library.

It is a must have record of the everyday life (and death) of an ordinary private who had the good luck to make it all the way through his service

His description of going over the top on July 1st 1916 starts on page 36 and continues to page 42. The book is worth its price for those pages alone.

Buy it, read it, get your kids to read it, then read it again.

A 'must-have' book. :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

Great read which I came across just before Christmas. Uncanny read for me. My grandfathers and Tommys regiments were side by side at Gommercourt on the first day of the Somme and I guess their experiences had a lot in common. Both were captured at Leiven on 1 July 1917, processed through Douai and then Dulmen prison camps before being sent out on Labour Kommandos. Quite a parallel and poignant for me but also well worth a read for anyone in my opinion.