The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

First attempt

Guest billy

I'm interested in my uncle's Great War record, and wonder if any Pals could help me.

His details are as follows...Pte William Sutcliffe, 45980, South Wales Borderers.

I believe he was a "bantam", he was discharged with wounds on 11th June 1918.

My wife bought me the book of the regimental History of the SWB. It would help me a great deal if I could find which battalion he served in.

Is there a way I can tell his battalion by using his service number?

Incidently, his wounds did not stop him rising to the rank of RSM in WW2!

Hope the "Pals" can help, your reputation is second to none!

Regards, Billy, Bacup, Lancs.

Billy I can tell you a fine book about the men of your area in the Great War, towns & civilians too, Saddleworth 1914 1919, I used it a lot writing about a man whose Bible I have. Also Andy Fitton of your area is very good at researching men, look for Andy in the members list and email. Also the mother site has a great section about researching British soldiers, go to it first then ask questions.

I've taken a quick look at "Soldiers Died in the Great War". Seems that men in the 45800-45999 series came from anywhere but Wales, and that most in 45900-45999 came from Lancashire. Quite a lot of them had been transferred from the ASC. Earliest death was in August 1917, which suggests to me we are looking at conscripts, joined in 1916 or 1917. Several different battalions were represented (2, 6,7, 10, 12), so no real pattern to go on there.

12th (Service) Bn (3rd Gwent) was the only SWB bantam battalion, but it was disbanded in February 1918.

Hi Billy

The Victory/British Medal Roll for the South Wales Borderers will give all the battalions he served in, that's as long as he was discharged while still with the South Wales Borderers. To be sure first fined his name in the Medal Index Cards that will give a ref. for the Victory/British Medal Roll page that contains his name.

Annette