The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pro Patria Mori

n cherry

Just wanted to say that I ordered and received a copy of this book this week and found it astonishing in its level of indepth research. A true labour of love on the part of the author, quite obviously, and of relevance to anyone with more than just a passing interest in the Gommecourt sector of the 1st July, 1916.

It is extremely refreshing to find a book that doesnt just trot out the same well-worn material found in dozens of books/sources elsewhere.

Heartily recommended. I am delighted with mine. Congrats to the author - well done that man.

You'll be joining the queue for the sequel then? :D

Indeed I will Andrew. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. I'll repeat my former sentiment that it is refreshing to see such comprehensive indepth research that doesn't merely rehash or revamp existing information found elsewhere, and it is becoming increasingly rare to find such publications.

The 46th Division are of interest to my own research and so I await this sequel with anticipation - no doubt it will be [hopefully] approached in the same vein and with the same level of commitment.

I say again: well done that man.

• 1 year later...

Question for Bill - I was just wondering whether the re-published edition of PPM was likely to be available soon?

Thanks

Alan

Alan,

The revision is on its last legs (and so am I!!). I am trying to get it finished this week (but last week I hoped to have it finished then) and, if I do, there is an outside chance of copies being available at the beginning of July. It has expanded by over 150 pages with a lot of extra anecdotal detail, a chapter on the treatment of Prisoners of War, etc., so quite a lot of new material.

I'll post a further message when it goes to the printers.

Bill

Thanks Bill - sounds worth the wait!

Alan