The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Divisional Histories..

armourersergeant

It appears that many of the divisional histories were written soon after the war and i was wondering

1..What references did they use to source there books etc

2..Have any new histories been written in modern times that have not been covered previously, and how difficult would it be for an author to write a book and what references would he use given that a previous one had not been written?

Just wondering if the gaps will ever be filled?

Arm.

By the preface in some of these div histories the author also relied on the testimony of surviving officers for the use of their diaries and recollections.

Bob.

Arm,

Divisional histories were put together using whatever resources the authors access. That said some are more detailed than others and some are written more from the perspective of individuals than others. It is worth bearing in mind than some authors would have used sources that have since been destroyed.

The History of the 16th (Irish) Division was written as recently as 1992.

There are still a significant number of gaps in the llist of divisional histories so plenty of opportunity for you or anyone else to get started.

Martin

Hello Martin

I wasnt looking for a job!! :(

Is there a list that shows which Divisions have histories and thus which ones are missing. I have looked on the site and can not find one?

Arm.

Hi Arm

The list of Divisional Histories numbers 40.

Regular: Guards, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 29

New Army: 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 25, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 40, 63(RN)

Territorial: 42,46,47,49,50,51,52,53,55,56,59,60,62,74

I must credit Phil Needham of the "Iron Harvest" website for the above.

The history of the 5th Australian division was written in 1919 by a Captain Ellis who was on the 5th Division staff.

I believe that he had access to the diaires from the 5th Division and also may have been assisted by the official historian.

It's quite an interesting book, though my copy is showing it's age.

There is also a history of the 3rd Australian Division but I've never seen a copy, so can't comment on how it was written.

Cheers

Andrew

To add a bit more background to the list it is worth bearing in mind that the form and content varies widely. The Guards, 2nd & 62nd divisions run to two volumes and the 30th is only 64 pages.

Some are almost "can't put it down" reading and others read more like a dry chronology, nonetheless all are of value.

Some only offer partial coverage e.g. 10th Irish Division in Gallipoli (but not their time in Salonika). The 46th (North Midland) Division restricts itself to the "Breaking of the Hindenberg Line" which practically represents the last three months or so of the war.

To my knowledge there are at least two divisions which have two histories, the additional ones being in the form of "A Short History of..." and, as I recall, of limited circulation or privately produced. The territorial divisions have a higher "hit rate" with 14 ; the regulars have 7 and the new army have 19.

There are people out there who have been working on other divisions but whether their work will come to fruition is something that I dare not even speculate upon. Lets hope that we will see further histories.

Martin

Regular: Guards, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 29

New Army: 9, 10, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23, 25, 30, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38, 40, 63(RN)

Territorial: 42,46,47,49,50,51,52,53,55,56,59,60,62,74

Divisional histories were put together using whatever resources the authors access. That said some are more detailed than others and some are written more from the perspective of individuals than others. It is worth bearing in mind than some authors would have used sources that have since been destroyed.

The History of the 16th (Irish) Division was written as recently as 1992.

There are still a significant number of gaps in the llist of divisional histories so plenty of opportunity for you or anyone else to get started.

Martin's comments ring true with the CEF as well. There are more front line CEF battalions that didn't write an official history than those that did. The publishing dates range from 1919 to 2000.

Of the four CEF Divisions, I'm only aware of the First Canadian Division's official history 'The Old Red Patch: The 1st Canadian Division 1915-1988' by the Ministry of Supply and Services, 1988.

There is a good web site here that lists the histories and memoirs of the CEF. However, there are some omissions on this site. For example there is an official history for the 102nd Battalion that's not on the list: 'From BC to Baisieux: Being the Narrative History of the 102nd Canadian Infantry Battalion' published in 1919. Also missing is: 'From The Rideau To The Rhine And Back: The 6th Field Company And Battalion C.E. In The Great War' published in 1928.

Garth