The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Birmingham Scottish/Irish

Jock Bruce

Pre-war there were TF units with Scottish and Irish identities in London and Liverpool. There are war-raised units with Scottish and Irish identities from Tyneside and an abortive attempt to raise a unit of 'Manchester Scottish' - I don't know if a 'Manchester Irish' were ever comptenplated.

Was there ever an attempt or even a suggestion of raising such units in Birmingham?

Jock

Jock;

Terry Reeves is the man - but 'no way, never' in all my researches in the 70s and early 80s (as a Brummie born and bred, and a good Catholic grammar school boy to boot - did I ever find 'Birmingham Irish' or 'Scottish' even informally alluded to). My Grandfather (2nd South Staffs 1915-19, but a Brummie) once thought a Coy of his Bn was almost 'Birmingham Welsh', but that was his phrase!

A member of the WFA told me that the 1st Royal Welch Fusiliers were known as the Birmingham Welsh as it was a popular unit for them to join. Why I don't know but an officer did some reserach just before the Great War and it showed that around 85% of the unit were from Birmingham and its environs.....whether the unit retained this flavour I guess is open to doubt...

Not really on topic but may be of interest.

Like Phil, I have never seen any evidence that would suggest this. However there were many Irish, Welsh and Scots families who migrated to Midlands towns and cities simply because of work.

The Welsh connection is interesting though. According SDITGW, 83 men of the RWF who were born and/or enlisted in Birmingham served in that regiment were kia. Presumably many more served as well, but that may have had something to do with transfers or conscription.

Terry Reeves

There were certainly enough 'expats' in the large English cities beside London and Liverpool to have allowed the raising of 'ethnic' units, TF or Kitchener. I guess it needs a particular set of social factors as well.

Interesting to note that in the days of the Rifle Volunteers both London and Liverpool had 'Welsh' units.

The 39th Lancashire (Liverpool Welsh) VRC seems to have existed only from 1860 to 1862, when it was folded into the 5th Lancashire (Liverpool Rifle Volunteer Brigade) VRC.

The 5th City of London (London Welsh) VRC was raised in 1861 and seems to have survived until 1908, when it was presumably folded into a battalion of the London Regiment.

I'm not aware of any post-1908 TF unit having a Welsh identity (except the ones in Wales, of course)

Jock

Jock

The buttons of the 5th City of London (London Welsh) VRC had a dragon at the centre with the following words surrounding it:

Y DDRAIG GOCH A DDYRY GYCHWYN

Dave

The 15th (Service) Batt. RWF were known as the 1st London Welsh

The 18th (Reserve) Batt RWF were known as the 2nd London Welsh