The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

6th MGC AIF

Could any Pal please help identify the location on the Western Front of the 6th Machine Gun Company of the 2nd Australian Division in the months April to May 1917. I have a note signed by Capt. J H Drummond CO specifying where they buried my uncle at the Flers front at that time. I have found Drummond's details on the Australian War memorial web-site. Is their position known during that time?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Ray

I'm replying blind... but 6th Aus MG Coy was about the only Aus MGC unit which had a comprehensive unit history written of it.. I have a copy of a 1980s reprint buried somewhere in a box not readily to hand, but certain that the Australian War Memorial (which has a first edition) could assist. Even the title escapes me at this time of night!!

Hi Ray

The 6th Machine Gun Company at the start of May were heavily involved at the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt.

If you let me know your uncles name I can have a look at the 6th Machine Gun Company history and let you know if he gets a mention.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks. My uncle was Thomas Frederick Hooper of the 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. My research so far indicates that he died in the attack on Bayonet Trench, north of Flers, on 7th October 1916. His remains were not discovered until April/May 1917 by the 6th MGC. The note recording his burial reads as follows_

Herewith Pay Book of No. PS9668 T.F.Hooper* whose remains were buried by one of the members of this coy.

The spot is about 50 yards from a large cross erected over 2 officers & 2 ORs of this Company in the front line occupied by this Brigade at Flers.

J H Drummond Capt CO

* Royal Fusiliers Regt.

The note is stamped ‘ 6th Machine Gun Company 2nd Australian Div. 30/4/17’ and ‘6th Australian Infantry Brigade April 30th 17’ and ‘Australian Headquarters 13026/D 14 May 1917’.

T F Hooper has no known grave and is commemorated at Thiepval. I assume the location mentioned in the note is not the final resting place of the soldiers, including my uncle. It would be useful to have some idea where they were buried after the Armistice.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray

I've had a look at the history and where the 6th MGC were in that time period.

28/10/16 - 22/11/16 they were stationed at Flers

22/11/16 - 05/02/17 - Flessles, Le Transloy & Ribemont

05/02/17 - 03/05/17 - In this period they were following up the German withdrawl, had a few weeks rest and then fought at Bullecourt.

On the 24th of March the 6th MGC came out of the line for a spell, and the unit history mentions that several men took this opportunity to visit the old battlefields in which they found a deceased comrade from their Company. This may have been around the same time that your uncle was found.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

Many thanks for looking this up for me. I think your explanation is correct. It may have been that they made more than one trip to the old battlefields to find their old comrades. It seems that my uncle wasn't found by them until 30 April 17, a month after the trip recorded in the history.

Anyway it's quite touching that they should have performed this service for my uncle and possibly for their own comrades mentioned in the note. I wonder who the two officers and two ORs were? It could be that they are all buried in the same cemetery.

Do you think the AWM people would be interested in the note I have?

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray

If you sent it to the AWM at least you would know that it was stored & conserved correctly, but as long as you or your family has interest in it you may as well keep holding on to it.

If you decide to donate it you might try a Victorian museum as the 6th MGC was a victorian unit.

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks. My uncle was Thomas Frederick Hooper of the 8th Battalion Royal Fusiliers. My research so far indicates that he died in the attack on Bayonet Trench, north of Flers, on 7th October 1916. His remains were not discovered until April/May 1917 by the 6th MGC.

Ray,

I have the trench map for the Flers area for October 1916, location of units on the day and a photo of the area taken this year if you want a copy of them. Mail me off list.

Aye

Malcolm