The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

256th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery

Tony Lund

256th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery, Wednesday 25th April 1917.

I have found that two Holmfirth men were killed with this Battery on this day. Does anyone have any further information? Or a location? The men are buried at Feuchy British Cemetery.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony

All I have on 256 Siege says they were within 22nd Heavy Artillery Group (HAG), Third Army area from March to July

WO 95/223 256 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Sept. - 1917 Aug.

The above diary held at Kew may shed some light on April's events.

Stuart

Tony,

256 SB was formed at Crossby Point Hightown, near Liverpool, Sept 13th 1916. Consisting of 44 NCO’s and men from Lancs and Chesire RGA (TF) and the remainder recruits from RGA depot at Clipstone. Capt (T/Mjr.) N. N. Maas RGA commanding.

On April 25th 1917 they were at the Mill at Athies. The diary goes on to say “Shoot on St. Rohart Factory. After 42 rounds had been fired shoot abandoned owning to very heavy hostile shelling; during which 2nd Lt. T H Challis was severely wounded and No 17159 BQMS Hone killed. And 7 OR’s killed. 1 OR died of wounds on 27/4/17 and 5 OR wounded.” Signed NN (N. N. Maas)

Hope this completes the picture for you

Rgds Paul

Clipstone is a place name that comes up a lot where Holmfirth men are concerned. It would seem to be the connection with battery and the two Holmfirth men who were killed. Thanks for the information it is very useful.

Tony.

• 11 months later...
Clipstone is a place name that comes up a lot where Holmfirth men are concerned. It would seem to be the connection with battery and the two Holmfirth men who were killed. Thanks for the information it is very useful.

Tony.

Hi Tony,

With regard to 25th April 1917 and the 256th Siege Battery:

Gunner Timothy Todd (113247) Died of wounds 27th April 1917 aged 35. Wife Emmeline Todd of 21 North Street Haworth, Nr Keighley, Yorks. He is remebered at Aubigny Communal Cemetery Extension. Born in Haworth and enlisted in Haworth.

May be the OR died of wounds in previous post.

Any more information would be useful. Thanks.

Update: Yes it is the correct OR Stormin. Lt Challis also eventually DOW on the 27th, but is buried at Duisans

Six of the seven unnamed OR’s from the same day are buried alongside BQMS Hone 17159 at Feuchy.

R Atkinson 117807

Wm Attiwell 113382

C E Barker 107501

Wm Edwards 2757 (prefix SR- or 277757 for MIC or it wont come up)

B Maude 117739

S Warbrick 113365

Cant see the seventh unfortunately

There are several more 256 SB gunners also buried from later dated actions at Feuchy.

Rgds

• 13 years later...

Good morning all,

I am French. I live in the north of France. My 17th century house has certainly always been a resting place for soldiers during wars.(WW1 World War I) (The last were German soldiers during World War II).

Right now, I have to redo the attic floor. Under the floor, I find objects of British soldiers from the Great War. Cigarette butts, matchboxes, matches, chocolate wrappers, buttons, playing card and envelope, stamp and letters ...
It is moving to find the traces of the passage of men who left their country for this terrible war.

I absolutely have to do this floor. A company would smash the whole floor and vacuum everything up with a big vacuum cleaner. So I do this on my own, but it takes a lot longer.

All these objects that are of value to me because they make the history of this house. But honestly, I don't know if they really have an interest.

So in your opinion, is there such a historic interest in recording all of this?
I await your answers.

On an envelope I can read if I'm not mistaken ...

?? W. Pnavy 117? 4
256 Seat Battery
R.G.A.
B.E.7
France

I translate with the "translate.google" translator.

Thank you for your answers.

M LEGRAND

Welcome et Poisson D'Avril? :)

So, we known he was with 256th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery and that his 6 digit service number starts with 117.

The RGA medal rolls starting 117 start here (on 'Ancestry'): https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/5119/images/41629_626640_11446-00059?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=86deed20358ca1eb47f81535ac625d50&usePUB=true&_phsrc=AHE10608&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&pId=3614478

With a bit of searching through the next 1000 numbers it may be possible to pinpoint him. I thought it might be Friary, but I don't see that name.