The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte Tom Williams Northumberland Fusiliers

David_Blanchard

My great uncle Pte 45776 Tom Williams served in 8th, 9th, 21st, 8th and 5th Bns of the North Fus according to his medal roll. How common would this have been? I also have a photograph of him wearing a Durham Light Infantry Cap badge, I can only presume he enlisted in the Durhams but when he was sent out, the North Fus were short and he was put in the Northumberlands instead. Would this explain why there is no mention of the Durhams on the medal roll.

I think there would be little chance of finding his service record with a surname like Williams- which could help to clarify the units he served in.

Strangely enough I did find his brother's service record, he was a stoker on board HMS Lion.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Pte C Berryman served in the 1st, 11th, 13th & 9th Bn, the 72nd Brigade Trench Mortar Unit and then the 9th Bn East Surreys again.

Ian

I would say, based only on my own studies of soldiers records, that perhaps only say 5% of men served with quite so many units. But 5% of an awful lot is a big number, so even this small percentage translates into lots of men.

Funnily enough one of the few men I have researched that was moved between battalions about this number of times was also with the NF.

little chance of finding his service record

Same chance as any other name, just more effort required and it will take longer. At least you have his number to go on.

Hi Dave

With my K.S.L.I. database, I have found the same as Chris, the % is small but when dealing with very large numbers of men, a small percentage does translate into lots of men.

Annette

I suspect it is worth considering the principle reasons for moves between battalions (and regiments). Amongst these would be the following.

The need for new drafts will result in someone being moved fron (say) a depot of garrison battalion to a battalion at the front.

Some units were formed/reformed/disbanded and soldiers moved on.

Some ofiicers would be promoted into or attached to another battalion.

A soldier invalided away from his battalion (eg hospitalised either in France & Flander or wherever, or blighty) might well not return to the same battalion and may pass through a holding battalion before returning to the front. In this way one wound could easily account for service in three battalions.

It could also be a result of being in the wrong place at the wrong time or simply failing to take one step backwards along with everyone else when volunteers were called for.

I am sure there are other common reasons which other pals have come across.

Martin