The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Boulogne Eastern Cemetery- unusual features

burlington

Terry

I took some photos for Pals in Boulogne Eastern last week.

It was not the easiest of cemeteries to work at and it took me (plus 3 friends) some 60 minutes to take 6 pics!

A number of questions please.

1- Many of the rows are of horizontal grave markers. Some of the rows contain 3 layers of markers for each grave number. Most of these markers are some 70% normal size. Obviously 3 bodies in the one space but why this type of arrangement? Other parts of the cemetery have vertical markers.

2- Plot 8 is arguably the largest Plot. It has 5 rows (each one being a triple as above). Rows A, B, C, D, and I. Row 'I'. What happened to E, F, G & H?

3- Again in Plot 8, the graves for rows A-D are number sequentially, going DOWN the slope from the main entrance. This is the same pattern for all of the rows in all plots EXCEPT for the errant row I in Plot 8. In that row, the graves are numbered going UP the slope!

I am sure that there is an explanation for these features. Could you let me know what it is please. Thanks.

For those who do not know this cemetery here is a pic. It is a rather beautiful place and contains a large number of Franch & Portugese graves as well plus, I think, some German ones.

post-1268-1152002756.jpg

The recumbent headstones are due to the nature of the soil in that location. It is very unstable (sandy, I believe) and headstones would be liable to movement so they have adopted the pattern you saw.

Missing graves, rows or plots are often caused by burials of non-Commonwealth nationalities being removed at some point to be reburied in their own national cemeteries or (in the case of some Americans) returned home.

However, in this case, Row I in Plot 8 looks like a later addition and is shorter than the other rows and there obviously were no other rows at any time. I have no idea why it was not called Row E or why the numbering was reversed. Possibly as simple as the chap who numbered it started at the wrong end by mistake!

The grave numbers were probably allocated by the army as burials took place and CWGC would have inherited them when they took over the cemetery post-war.

Thanks Terry. Very helpful.

My fiends & I can now stop worrying about it!

Regards

Martin

I took some photos for Pals in Boulogne Eastern last week.

For those who do not know this cemetery here is a pic. It is a rather beautiful place and contains a large number of Franch & Portugese graves as well plus, I think, some German ones.

post-1268-1152002756.jpg

My Great Grandfather is buried in this cemetery in one of the graves up against the hedge on the left. I've visited many times, it is indeed a beautiful place. Nice picture Martin.

Stephen