The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Third Battle of Ypres

Janus

I'm looking for information on the actions of the 14th and 15 (Service) Battalions of the Welsh Regiment (The Carmarthenshire and Swansea Pals), that attacked the Pilkem Ridge on 31 July 1917 in the first stage of the Third Ypres battle.

Er, me again (see two other replies) - you could also try 'Up to Mametz' by Wyn Griffith; 'Old soldiers never die' by Frank Richards; The Welsh Regiment history by T.O.Marden (vol 2, also known as Whitehorn(?) as he wrote vol 1); there is also a history of the 38 Welsh Div available from Naval & Military Press. Sassoon and Graves also cover the fighting in Mametz Wood in their autobiographies. I might be able to help with queries on the 14th in particular.

Bernard Lewis

10th and 13th Welsh captured the Blue line with little difficulty.

14th ( on the left) and 15th ( on the right ) Welsh then attacked IRON CROSS a farm which was fortified. They met stiff opposition but eventually captured the farm,

The 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers and the half battalions of the 14th & 15th Welsh towards IRON CROSS RIDGE. They came under fire from RUDOLPHE FARM on the edge of the 51st Highland Division area and 15th Welsh were detailed to attack it which they did and captured it.

Map attached.

Aye

Malcolm

post-1-1066347702.jpg