The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Driver William Henry Baker ASC

Will O'Brien

I'm doing some research on this chap who died in August 1915. The local newspaper stated that he volunteered in August 1914 as a 'Wheeler'. I am presuming this was a trade or profession. First guess it's something to do with Wheels (maintenance/manufacture of) but can anyone shed some more light on this for me.

Will

Will,

Per Michael Young's history of the ASC

The older HT Section had Wheelers as well as Saddlers, Farriers etc

With the advent of the MT Section in the early years of the 20th century qualified men were first brought in to the new MT section from the existing HT Sections

"To provide the manpower for 77 and 78 MT Companies, four HT companies were reduced in establishment.......... Corps Order No.25 in 1903 notified for general information that, on the formation of the MT section of the ASC, the following will be adopted

Carpenters, in future to be called "Wheelers", will be selected from the present qualified wheelers; their future promotion will be in the Transport Companies as Wheeler Corporals and Wheeler Staff Sergeants."

Hope that this helps

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael

That has been of a great help. I think i can tie this in with his peacetime profession as a coach builder at the local railway works.

Many thanks

Will

Badge of appointment a 12 spoked cart wheel in worsted or brass.

A 'wheeler' was/is also a horse in a gun or wagon team, one of two nearest the gun/ wagon wheels, not a lead horse. One function is to act as brakes!