The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

SDTGW Lookup

Stuart Lawton

Could someone please lookup my Great Uncle for me.

His name was John Lawton and he was a private in the MGC, service number 37666.

Thanks,

Stu

Born and enlisted WATFORD

died of wounds 14.9.17

formerly 23636 Bedfordshire Regiment

Chris,

The CWGC shows his unit as 64th Bn MGC however there are two problems with this.

1. MGC battalions don't appear to have been formed until 1918.

2. For some unknown reason the 64th Bn doesn't appear to have been formed at all, so maybe it should read as the 64th Coy which became part of the 21st Bn.

As Kate didn't state which company I assume that the SDITGW doesn't contain company numbers for men who died while serving with the MGC.

Stu

Stu

The entry on SDGW (which unfortunately does not enable copy and pasting) simply reads Machine Gun Corps (Infantry), otherwise the only information is that already mentioned.

Have you tried the Machine Gun Corps Old Comrades Association? They have a website, so a quick Google should lead you there.

Kate,

Thanks for confirming the lack of company number on the SDITGW. This seems to be a fairly common trend on official documents like the MIC and medal roll concerning the MGC. The MGC/OCA is yet another route I will have to try.

Thanks,

Stu

Stuart

I am also researching a local man who was with '64th Machine Gun Corps,' and died in July 1916. As others know [well Ian B at least!] I have enormous problems getting my head round the MGC, but it seems that he was with 64th Infantry Brigade Machine Gun Company. The battalion war diary is at the PRO in WO95/2162, but is at present 'in conservation' and unavailable. If you think that your man might have also been in the same company, I will have a look through when it's available, although as he died of wounds it might be difficult to confirm on which day he was wounded.

Regards - Sue

Sue,

I'd appreciate that.

If it can be verified that he was in the 64th it would also confirm the company his brother Herbert, my grandfather, was with as they were in the same machine gun team.

Stu