The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HTMB

Peter Beckett

I am currently reading the war diary of the 97th Field Company, RE from the 1st June til 31 June 1916, (WO95/2144) and twice HTMB is mentioned. Would Heavy Trench Mortar Battery be a good guess?

Also is mentioned is "overhead trench tramway" as being completed. Can any Pal help with either a better description or pictures ?

Peter

I would agree with the Heavy Trench Mortar Battery, what date was the overhead trench tramway completed, if it was late enough it could have something to do with tanks??? Only a guess.

Mutley,

In the context of the war diary I think it had to do with getting getting ammunition and supplies to the HTMB as one went to Aberdeen Av and one is mentioned as being repaired that went to Bon Accord which were by their names sound like trenches with HTMB emplacements in them. BTW the dates were respectively, 23 June and 30 June 1916

Peter

Sue,

That certainly looks like it. What a terrific picture. Where does it come from?

It also makes me admire the ingenuity of the engineers under adverse conditions.

The war diary entry mentions a distance of 700 yards to Aberdeen Ave.

Thankyou very much.

Peter

Peter

I had the image on the computer, and have just had to delve for it - It comes from 'Hospital Ships and Ambulance Trains' by John Plumridge, published Seeley, Service and Co. in 1975 [iSBN 0 85422 087 9]. The image is courtesy of the IWM and captioned "An overhead trolley in the trenches."

The text adds:

Other types of rail ambulance included 'trench railways' which were first constructed in France in 1915 - being used at Festubert in May that year and at Loos in the following September. A divisional trench tramway officer was responsible not only for maintaining the tramway line but also for supplying mules! Monorails were also used to carry the wounded along deep trenches.

It looks as though it could have been adapted to carry almost anything!

Regards - Sue

would such overhead trolleys be near the front line? seems a lot of work if a shell comes along and blows the trench sides in or the overhead girders...

seems like they would be found a way back

John

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter, can you tell me if there is any other war diaries that cover the 97th Coy? as my Great Grand father served with them between Oct 1915- April 16 any any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Barry

Just to supplement Sue's photograph. This drawing appeared in the programme for the re-union dinner of 1st East Anglian Field Company held on December 13th, 1919. The caption suggests this device was being used as early as 1915.

Terry Reeves

post-2-1068805579.jpg