The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CEF Regimental Colours

mordac

Hi All:

In my researching of battalions mobilized in British Columbia, I've been able to locate the Regimental Colours for the 7th, 29th, 72nd and 102nd Battalions. Does anyone know where the King's and Regimental Colours for the remaining CEF battalions were deposited? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Garth

Hi

The 85th colours are at the archives in Halifax the 185th went up in smoke

when the court house in Sydney burnt down.The colours to the 75th are at the

Knoxs Pres Church down town Toronto.Near the U of T.aLL THE 48TH colours are at the St Andrews church near Roy Tompson Hall down town TO.

Cheers

Dave

Garth, this is interesting. Are 7th, 29th, and 72nd colours down at Seaforth Amouries? Where are 102nd's?

Peter (still in Ottawa)

Garth, this is interesting.  Are 7th, 29th, and 72nd colours down at Seaforth Amouries?  Where are 102nd's?

Hi Broz:

You're lucky to be in Ottawa, my friend. We've had record breaking rain here in the last couple of days! I guess our drought is officially over. :lol:

The King's and Regimental Colours for these battalions were deposited in Christ Church Anglican Cathedral in downtown Vancouver. At the moment, they are undergoing a restoration and stabilization process. There are plans to redeposit the Colours sometime around Easter 2004. Unfortunately, because of their fragile condition, they will not be displayed in the Cathedral. Plans are to have them placed inside sealed archive cabinets. I've been in contact with some of the Cathedral staff in hopes of getting some photographs of the Colours before they are removed from public viewing.

Garth