The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Researching soldiers.

Duncan

Can anyone suggest any way of researching soldiers etc other than the usual CWGC wedsite, Medal Index Cards, 1901 Census etc. For example I would like to find out where a man lived after he was wounded and discharged.

I have heard that there's a 1918 Absent Voters list - can anyone tell me anything about this and how to access it.

Cheers,

Duncan.

p.s. does anyone know where I can get a copy of Kelly's Directory for Worcester dated just before of just after WW1.

I have heard that there's a 1918 Absent Voters list - can anyone tell me anything about this and how to access it.

Duncan.

This is a list of all serving servicemen who were over the age of 21 in 1918 and had registered to vote. It's listed street by street and contains the soldier's house number, unit, rank and service number.

Local libraries tend to have the AVL's for their particular area, though one or two have appeared on the internet (Accrington, Leeds,Grimsby, Cleethorpes). I suppose any "central Library" may have the lists for a wider area, but I don't know.

If you've got no idea of your soldiers address, then you've got quite a task on to find him in these lists.

Dave.