The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Cpl William Sales - 7th Royal West Kents

Guest Meljane

I am new to all this and just wondered if anyone could help... a bit of a long shot, but I am looking for information about 201178 Corporal William Henry Sales, 7th Bn Royal West Kent Regiment, died 21st March 1918 and commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial.

I believe that the 7th Bn was taking part in the Battle of St Quentin on that date, but whether Uncle Will died in action at the battle, or died of wounds recevied in an earlier action, we will probably never know.

But if anyone can help with more info on the Regiment, or the Battle of St Quentin, I would be more than grateful.

Thanks!

Melanie

According to soldiers died, William Sale was killed in action on the 21 March 1918 so hopefully that answers one question. If you live in/near Kent copies of the Royal West Kents Regimental History for 1914-1918, should be available at the major reference libraries and would detail the action for this day (I think I have used it at Maidstone and Gillingham libraries). Obviously the War Diaries at Kew would also give you detailed information of the 7 Bttn on this day.

I rememberered also that I recently read in Middlebrook's "The Kaiser's Battle" that of the 7485 British soldiers kia 21 March 1918 only 978 have known graves and that the 7/RWK was one of a handful of battalions to suffer more than 50 fatalities on that day but with not a single soldier in his own marked grave.

Also try this link - it has chapters 1-9 and 21 of the RWK regimental history. As yet it does not cover 21 March 1918 but hopefully it will in the near future:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~s...nt_regiment.htm

Trust this helps.

7th Buffs,were part of the 18th Eastern Division and were on the left of the 58th Division,on the 21st of March 1918,as were the 7th West Kents,of 53rd Brigade.

The Buffs,were at a place called Fort Vendeuil and another position,which had no name,on a hill to the north of Travecy.

After their defensive position,the next stop,was a place called Travecy Keep,and this was held by the 2/2nd Londons,my Great-grandfathers M.G Company,being in support.

Fort Venduil was a brick built fort,from the 1870's,with a deep moat and loads of defensive positions.

The garrison was made up of 2 platoons of bad marchers,2 trench mortar teams and a group of R.E field survey guys,and was commanded by a Captain "Flossie"Fine.

Travecy Keep,was in the village of Travecy and was held by 2/2nd Londons until the evening of the 22nd.

Vendeuil Fort,and the position North of Travecy,surrendered at the same time on the 22nd.

The actions around these position's were more of a waiting game for the Germans,putting a few shells in to the place,a type of siege warfare,and waiting for the water,food,and ammunition,to run out.

They were more interested in breaking the areas above this weakly held section of the line.

During the action at Travecy Keep,the 2/2nd Londons fired more than 18,000 rounds of small arms ammo and 200 hundred mortar bombs and only 40 or 50 of the battalion,made it back to fight another day.

Martin Middlebrooks book,The Kaisers Battle,is a good reference book on the first day of the battle.

Even though everyone knew it was coming,it was still a shock,the last great German offensive.

I hope this is of help.

Regards.

Simon.

Thanks everyone - Chris, Michael, Simon and "Signals" for your help - very much appreciated. I had already checked with the Regimental Museum but they didn't have the war diary available, although they did fax me a copy of the Regimental history concerning that date (thanks Michael though - yours is a better copy.) I live in Aberdeen, although was born in Maidstone and go back from time to time, so looks like I need a trip 'back home' to get to the bottom of this.

You've all helped me a lot and set me on my way - thanks again.

Melanie